Gibson Brands Forums

Epi '58 Explorer ~ Pickup covers or no?

GMS0623

Ive got myself an epi 1958 epi explorer -2nd inv,ebony. ive grown quite attached to it, but im not too fond of the neck pickup's tone. its wayy to flat

i found a vid of the sound diff on a les paul, sounds decent enough...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZO5Olq5tqk

someone want to tell me...

-is taking the cover off worth it?

-how difficult (will i ruin my baby if i screw up?)

-will it look good with one covered and one not?

-the procedure. i know how, i know you have to take off the pickup and remove the sodder from the back and sides, then peel off all the wax. how hard is this, and if anyone has pix, pls post.

DSCF1846.jpg

DSCF1847.jpg

thanks alot :)

It won't do anything to improve tone' date=' FWIW. I'd throw a 57 (or 2) in there if I were you. Just be damn sure to save the cover if you remove it & keep it in the case as long as you have the guitar. You were gonna do that anyway tho...[/quote']

hahaha WRONG! :- i did it in the last hour and a half and GOD does it play good :[-o</ sounds like an angel wheras before it sounded like it was locked in a closet lol

heres pixes

http://www.new.facebook.com/album.php?aid=15426&id=1461080313&l=d8c7e

DSCF2143.jpg

I have always heard a difference with the covers off . A lot of our old Guitar Gods thought the same thing also, including Jimmy Page. Enough so, that is one of the reason's Gibson offers models without them. When you going to pull the Bridge cover.

P.S I hear those white and black Epiphones Explorers have the Korina veneer underneath.

hahaha WRONG! :D i did it in the last hour and a half and GOD does it play good ::D/ sounds like an angel wheras before it sounded like it was locked in a closet lol

Whoa, sweeeeet man. Yea I did it on my LP and didn't get any dramatic results... that kicks ***, good for you! (I'm a lil jealous I must admit)

Archived