Gibson Brands Forums

Hello!

El cheapo

Hey, it's good to be here! I'll start by saying I've been a Tele player for years. Then the other day I happened to buy a mixed lot of musical equipment for a great price (guitars, pa system, banjo, xylophone, etc.) Part of the lot was an older Epiphone Les Paul Special 2. It was rusty, musty and dusty, and I really wasn't expecting much out of it. It looked like it had never seen the inside of a gig bag, let alone a case. Anyway, I cleaned it up, put new strings on it and gave it a play. 

WOW! This thing has the most comfortable neck ever! It's amazing how much difference a little wider fretboard makes. I like the shorter scale too, and it's not heavy at all. I heard Les Pauls could be boat anchors but this thing is comfortable! The switch is wonky and right now I'm only getting sound out of the bridge pickup. I eq'd my amp for the guitar and played Comfortably Numb (both solo's). Good stuff! Definitely a fatter sound than I'm used to but the notes still had plenty of definition. I'm gonna hang onto this little guy! A new switch is going in there and I'm converting it to 50's wiring so I've got some work to do.

I know one thing, I'm gonna have to try a bunch of these out and get a good one! I only regret I didn't play one sooner!