Gibson Brands Forums

Tommy Emmanuel

blindboygrunt

TE’s Matons are made in the Custom Shop for him and they also put out a guitar supposedly exactly the same as his customs...It is called, of course, the catchily named Maton Custom Shop EBG808TE Tommy Emmanuel Personal.

I played one of these Personals a few years back and it just didn’t have the same notes as his.

There is also a plain jane production model Maton EBG808TE that also does not have the same notes in it.

So one day I was perusing the internet guitar shops and my birthday last year was getting close and this shop just hung out a pic with a ‘custom black finish Maton EBG808 with some of TE’s specs deleted. Whatever that meant, I was on their doorstep before they hung up the phone and then I played it and then I bought it! It is a fingerpicking monster and the pickup is sensational. $2200. To celebrate, I learned a whole ot of TE tunes. You will never hear them.☹️

The same shop has just listed another TE Personal...$6,399. I may buy it.  May as well throw my money on the road....

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

24 minutes ago, blindboygrunt said:

All ya hear is how good the pickups are in the matons 

If one came up for sale here I'd be tempted to check it out for my little gigs .

But I'm yet to even see one in the flesh 

TE demos the pickup sound and controls in the video u posted. He ran it direct to his AER amp, no preamp. His live sound is just a lead from the back of the amp plugged to a PA. No tricks, that is the sound.

I don’t like my Matons in an amp - I prefer direct to my Platinum Pro EQ and direct to my mixer. If I use my amp, I turn off the little trebly horns - Genz Benz has a switch, and run the Boss VE8 in stereo to the amp.

BluesKing777.

17 hours ago, blindboygrunt said:

All ya hear is how good the pickups are in the matons 

If one came up for sale here I'd be tempted to check it out for my little gigs .

But I'm yet to even see one in the flesh 

I had a look around for you - I doubt you will ever see one laying around, BBG. You may find a few in London if u went on a trip.

Saying you would be tempted to buy a "Maton" is like saying you are buying a Gibson....there are hundreds of them. Good pickup or no, you need to like playing the guitar first. Pickup is the icing. For example I have three 808 models, which are deep body 00 size balanced tone fingerpicker mainly guitars. The first one I bought is the cheapest with matt finish cedar top over Australian blackwood  back and sides. My next buy is the black monster, also matt finish, supposed to be Queensland maple with sitka top, but it is black and I can' tell what wood it really is - I think they copied and pasted TE's guitar specs for the ad.... Anyway, it looks to me, inside the guitar, like sitka over Australian Blackwood - their mistake but it sounds great, so... My next buy was the top of the production line rosewood with AAA sitka top and wooden binding, herringbone purfling etc etc all in full gloss.

While these sound similar because of the shape and size of the guitar being the same, the matt finish two are ready to play sounding out of the box - while the gloss one is going to take approximately 95 years to get that top broken in with my light fingerstyle.

After I bought the black one, I put the first one in Open G tuning and played slide on it - fab! Stays in Open G then.

The black one is just sensation all for all kinds of blues and rags and is sort of mahogany like with some sustain but not a huge amount of overtone in the way of faster playing.

The rosewood one has heaps of sustain and overtones and is better for slower chordy type tunes..jazzy, Broadway hits and also rock songs. But what I wanted it for was - DADGAD tuning...superb!

And they all have the same pickup! It works perfectly for Tommy E's sound and playing and works perfectly for my playing on the first guitar and the black one...with less sustain and overtones, but the rosewood one goes gluggy...I need serious EQ work and gadgetry to try and capture the (beautiful) tones. Enter the dragon...- Tonedexter - ran a Tonedexter file with 2 different mics and that is the Bee's. (I leave the pickup on the guitar on but the internal mic OFF.)

Oh yeah, a friend has a dread model with sitka over Australian blackwood, same pickup......mid range cheapy and I don't really like it, err, at all. If I was going to get a Maton dread, not,!!! but if I was, it would be a model with mahogany back...Classic or something they call them. But my friend has National slide fever and Gibson fever and Martin fever, so I was surprised to see a video of him playing in his duo with...ha ha.. the Maton dread plugged.

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777