Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson j50 deluxe, 1972

zuma12345

I have been offered a 1972 j50 deluxe' date=' how much is it worth? Any experiences? Tips?[/quote']

The market price is maybe $1500, but that's quite a bit more than it's probably worth. As a general rule, the early '70s J-45/J-50s were way overbraced and somewhat shoddily constructed. For the same price, you could buy a new or nearly-new Bozeman-built J-50, which is a far better guitar. Maybe you'll love this one, but I wouldn't buy it without giving it a try first, if I were you.

Sorry bout the bad english!

Your English is just fine! (Especially when compared to my non-existent Swedish.)

-- Bob R

What do you mean by overbraced?

Gibson started using a "double-X" bracing in the about 1970. It was a pretty stiff system, meant to minimize top lifting. It isn't known for tonal brilliance. You can do an internet search and find info on it. That said, I owned a couple that sounded pretty good, really. They are not all dogs. But early '70s Gibsons were far from their best & generally pale compared to earlier Gibsons (thru the mid-'60s) & Bozeman models.

As early '70s Gibson prices have risen to the level of nice newer ones, I agree w. the post saying to look at later Bozeman models, used or new. They can be inconsistent but good ones can be very nice, even great IMO.

I was just handed a '73-'75 J50 for some repairs. A quick glance shows a dip in front of the bridge and a slight bulge behind it. Nothing horrible but not right either. The upper part of the main x brace is loose so I'm sure that's contributing a lot (I hope it is anyway!). The truss rod needs a tweak and there is a minor bridge gap. No twist in the neck which is a happy face for all. The most interesting aspect of it is the odd pickguard. It's tortoise and resembles a normal batwing style on the treble side but it spills over to the bass side as well. I'll post pics tonight.

That would be great!

I was just handed a '73-'75 J50 for some repairs. A quick glance shows a dip in front of the bridge and a slight bulge behind it. Nothing horrible but not right either. The upper part of the main x brace is loose so I'm sure that's contributing a lot (I hope it is anyway!). The truss rod needs a tweak and there is a minor bridge gap. No twist in the neck which is a happy face for all. The most interesting aspect of it is the odd pickguard. It's tortoise and resembles a normal batwing style on the treble side but it spills over to the bass side as well. I'll post pics tonight.

I'm thinking about upgrading tuners if i'l buy it, i don't like the metal-styled tuners... If i wanna put these on, would that need drilling or are the measures the same?

http://cgi.ebay.com/KLUSON-SD9005MNP-NICKEL-3X3-TUNING-MACHINES-PEG-TUNERS_W0QQitemZ360131737298QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item360131737298&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A570|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A2|294%3A50

Archived