Gibson Brands Forums

pickup oxidation

ask28

Hi!

There is some oxidation (according to a friend) accumulating on both pickups. He has informed me that if I don't remedy this issue, the pickups will lose signal clarity. Is this true? Has anyone got any hints on how to remove it? I wish I had better photos, but I assume you know what I'm talking about.

By the way, any clue on what pickups these are? I bought this 2002 LP Standard Desertburst used, and I assume they weren't changed. BB Pros?

Thanks for you help.

DSCN5748.jpg

There is some oxidation (according to a friend) accumulating on both pickups. He has informed me that if I don't remedy this issue, the pickups will lose signal clarity...
Have him tell that to people who own vintage guitars! Oxidation on metal pickup covers is pretty much an inevitability, and it won't necessarily affect the sound all that much, so don't worry. Also, DO NOT try to remove/clean the oxidized area, because it could remove the plating (if any) or even worse! cause the cover to oxidize faster. So just leave them as is, and enjoy playing you very beautiful Gibson LP.

P.S. If you are worried about it, you could swap out the pickups.

Archived