Gibson Brands Forums

Upgraded the tuner buttons on my J-45 Standard!

jjrpilot

2 hours ago, Boyd said:

That's an interesting theory, but my guess is that the quality of the product you bought was just poor. Plenty of us have 50 or 60 year old guitars with the original plastic Kluson tuner buttons.  And this is also a good reason to order parts from well-known reputable companies like StewMac, who will stand behind their products. 

Yes , exactly 

• Like 1

StewMac didn't have screw-on replacement knobs or I would have gone that route. I really didn't want to replace the entire tuner which would have involved bushings and drilling extra holes in the headstock so I thought this might be the answer. So far I haven't had a bad experience but I guess I'm holding my breath when tuning. And one might think that 50 or 60 years later the plastic would be as durable as back then.

As I have mentioned before, I put plastic pearloid buttons on my 2008 J-50 when I first got it, but after several months I did a full tuner swap because the Rotomatics are just ugly, regardless of button type. 😁 Anyway, I got mine at AllParts, which is another well-known site - these look like the same ones, but they have others too. Never had any problems with these and the plastic seemed very tough.... but "your mileage may vary".

https://www.allparts.com/products/tk-7723-small-button-set-for-grover-tuners

Here's a photo.

rotomatic_buttons.jpg

It's funny... I spent a week at a friend's home in the EU and brought the J-50 with me. When she saw the guitar, the first thing she said was "I really like those tuners!".  

Edited by Boyd
  • Like 1

Boyd, thanks for the link..I may try these white buttons at some point in the future. They look stronger than the ones I ordered, wish I had waited on those..not worth sending back to taiwan so I guess I'm stuck with them! Darn it! The AllParts butons look pretty nice, and I have bought things from AllParts before but didn't realize they sold these. AllParts sells the exact copy of the Epiphone Hummingbird pick guard and I replaced the worn one I had and was happy with that product. 

Thanks for the link, Boyd. Living in Canada reduces any idea of a reasonable cost due to exchange and postal rates-viz-the knobs in question would run me $72 + Can. which is double what I paid.

I am on a fixed income so I try to save money where I can. The combined exchange rate and postal fees make it really hard to bring anything in from the States. One would have thought that the NAFTA deal would have been a help but it's not, so I look for deals wherever I can find them.

StewMac didn't have screw-on replacement knobs or I would have gone that route. I really didn't want to replace the entire tuner which would have involved bushings and drilling extra holes in the h

1 hour ago, PrairieSchooner said:

You might consider just complaining to the vendor that sold you the buttons.  I've found that many overseas sellers really value their reputation.  They might replace the buttons or give you a refund.  Just a thought.

eadstock so I thought this might be the answer. So far I haven't had a bad experience but I guess I'm holding my breath when tuning.

ALD323 - will you be contacting the supplier? I would except the buttons I got are still working so I don't have a beef(yet). I'd be interested in hearing his response.

Ollie yes I have contacted the supplier by email of my wish for a refund, along with the picture of the broken button sample shown above..I have not yet recieved a response. They had asked me to "revise my negative review of the buttons,"... I told them if I recieve a refund on my order, that I would do so, otherwise a revision of my negative review on the buttons would not be possible. If they respond I will let you know via this thread. If your buttons have not cracked yet, maybe you will be ok, so try not to worry ok? 

Boyd, I would revise, and down tone my review which described the buttons as junk and a waste of time, to ( "nice looking buttons,  honest vender responded with full refund when the button was defective.) That way other guitar buyers would have a heads up when deciding to order these.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2019 at 4:27 PM, ALD323 said:

Boyd, I would revise, and down tone my review which described the buttons as junk and a waste of time, to ( "nice looking buttons,  honest vender responded with full refund when the button was defective.) That way other guitar buyers would have a heads up when deciding to order these.

A further sad update - one of the buttons I ordered has snapped as with ALD323.

I have sent a message via ebay to the supplier expressing my dissatisfaction. We shall see.

Another reputable US company you might investigate. Have never bought these buttons, but WD purchased what was left of Kluson and now sells the accurate reproductions that I have on two of my guitars. They are great.  🙂.  

https://www.wdmusic.com/tuning-machines-parts-bushings-and-washers.html?model[]=Button

Edited by Boyd

1 hour ago, Boyd said:

Another reputable US company you might investigate. Have never bought these buttons, but WD purchased what was left of Kluson and now sells the accurate reproductions that I have on two of my guitars. They are great.  🙂.  

https://www.wdmusic.com/tuning-machines-parts-bushings-and-washers.html?model[]=Button

Thanks for the lead, Boyd.

UPDATE on cracked pins....the seller from Taiwan has agreed to refund me for the broken tuner buttons which had cracked. There fore I would consider them an honest and fair company. I'm sure they will look at the product and improve on it if necessary.  Nothing is perfect, and as long as refunds for defective products is made available, this is admirable.

Edited by ALD323

1 hour ago, ALD323 said:

UPDATE on cracked pins....the seller from Taiwan has agreed to refund me for the broken tuner buttons which had cracked. There fore I would consider them an honest and fair company. I'm sure they will look at the product and improve on it if necessary.  Nothing is perfect, and as long as refunds for defective products is made available, this is admirable.

Further update: the same supplier refunded my money also. Allparts has sent me a shipping schedule which says I'll have their version Thursday

There just may be peace in the valley!

15 hours ago, ALD323 said:

There fore I would consider them an honest and fair company. I'm sure they will look at the product and improve on it if necessary. 

Glad you got your money back - that's the main thing. But why are you "sure" they will improve these? Here we have two people in the space of a week experiencing the same problem. Sorry, this does not sound like a supplier I would want to do business with. And you shouldn't have to worry about whether a company will stand behind their products and  just "hope" they will refund your money. 

Edited by Boyd

17 hours ago, olie said:

Further update: the same supplier refunded my money also. Allparts has sent me a shipping schedule which says I'll have their version Thursday

There just may be peace in the valley!

Olie, nice to hear your new set from allparts is on the way, and you have been refunded by the previous seller, can you tell me which button model you slelcted, perhaps with a link?  Are they the ones Boyd suggested in his previous link? Thanks!

Edited by ALD323

3 hours ago, ALD323 said:

Olie, nice to hear your new set from allparts is on the way, and you have been refunded by the previous seller, can you tell me which button model you slelcted, perhaps with a link?  Are they the ones Boyd suggested in his previous link? Thanks!

I ordered Ebony buttons this time from Allparts and they are scheduled to arrive Thurs. I'm no good at forwarding links but if you wish to look them up they are part # TK-7724.

Here's hoping, ALD!