Gibson Brands Forums

what guitar amp should i get?

rythmking24

hello folks,

i have recently had a series of guitar nightmares, which involved me purchasing several faulty guitars and then having to exchange them. :-({|= anyway... that ordeal is over, and i now have a gibson sg special in ebony ;D it's very nice.

anyway, onto the next potential nightmare, i now need a new amp. the one i have ( a fender roc pro 1000 ) is the most unreliable piece of s**t ever made. so...

having ended up spending £750 on my new guitar, i am not looking to pay loads for a new amp. around... £300, if it's possible to get an amp that will do my guitar justice for that amount. i am aware that is it probably unrealistic to think that i can get a decent amp for that much, so i will pay more if absolutely neccessary.

anyway, i have read a few reviews of a MARSHALL MG250 DFX. they are mixed, but it seems like a really good value amp (£250). and i also had my eye on a FENDER FM212, having played one in the shop where i got my guitar. that also seems very cheap (£200ish), so i wonder what the catch is?

there are so many amps out there, my head is spinning. ideally, i would like a fender, because i love the tone you get from them. however, marshalls are always a good bet aswell. i would be willing to consider something else, if justified. i mainly play heavy rock/ metal. but i do love to blues/ funk/ jazz it up aswell, hahaha. so... if someone could advise me on this matter, i would be most grateful.

cheers.

I would go with a good low wattage tube amp for two reasons.

They sound better than the big name solid state amps, and the resale value is much better.

If you don't believe the resale thing, take a SS amp to a local shop for a trade in and see what they offer.

Click here. I had a Hartke Piggyback a year ago. These things can produce a very nice tone and as it's a 4 x 8" cab, it's loud enough to gig, but can acheive some very tubey sounds at low volume too. It is a tranni amp, but has a valve preamp. You're unlikely to find a valve amp that will kick out enough juice to play anywhere other then your bedroom for under £300. You might be lucky and find a used Orange Tiny Terror and 1 x 12 cab for £300 - if you do, get it, because these amps compliment bucker guitars very nicely.

Play as many as you can, with your guitar, and see what you like. I like the sound of Tube amps pushed to the edge of breakup (and beyond), but some people swear by SS amps. I would suggest buying the best amp you can afford, because a good amp can last a long time. You can always put a pedal or two in front of the amp and give yourself some more sounds too. A nice guitar, played through a crappy amp, will sound like crap.

Have you looked at VOX? A decent all tube Marshall is pretty expensive. You can get a decent Fender all tube amp, but many of Fender's newer amps are made in Mexico and have a rep for unreliability. I have some experience playing through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and it sounds great to me. Personally, I use Mesa Boogie and an older Marshall JTM.

Archived