Gibson Brands Forums

Handle / bracket for Gibson 50s alligator case

Dafgog

Most case parts are generic luggage hardware, with only the shell of the case being a proprietary component.

The chipboard cases, whether alligator pattern or smooth, generally but not always had plastic handles. I have one here somewhere that originally came with one of my 1950 J-45's, but it's buried in a pile of guitar boxes in the garage, and isn't readily accessible. 

I just looked at an old photo of a Gibson chipboard case I bought in 1966 (and no longer have), but it's hard to tell much about the handle. It looks s bit different from the modern plastic handles.

I save the chipboard cases if they are original to the guitar, but buy modern hard cases to actually store the guitar.

On 12/9/2019 at 10:02 AM, j45nick said:

Most case parts are generic luggage hardware, with only the shell of the case being a proprietary component.

The chipboard cases, whether alligator pattern or smooth, generally but not always had plastic handles. I have one here somewhere that originally came with one of my 1950 J-45's, but it's buried in a pile of guitar boxes in the garage, and isn't readily accessible. 

I just looked at an old photo of a Gibson chipboard case I bought in 1966 (and no longer have), but it's hard to tell much about the handle. It looks s bit different from the modern plastic handles.

I save the chipboard cases if they are original to the guitar, but buy modern hard cases to actually store the guitar.

My older Geib & Schaeffer  chipboard cases have leather sausage handles (or what remains of them).  But the alligator Gibson cases were recent enough that I do not recall ever seeing one that did not have a plastic handle.