Gibson Brands Forums

1943 Southern Jumbo Banner

corbieres123

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your reply. Sorry for the slow response... been a hectic holiday. I will work on getting something up online or posting it here.

FYI I live France. Any ideas of where I might go more locally here in Europe? Prob doesn't really matter but I would have thought shipping it is a bit risky.

Shipping high value stringed instruments is always a nail-biting experience. Check out this amazing, not perfect, guitar for a good price baseline. 

Also, regarding shipping, cross-border movement of Braz rosewood is restrictive, so there's a complication you'd need to look into.

https://reverb.com/item/28312888-gibson-sj-1943-sunburst

• Like 1

Repair/restoration considerations for a guitar like this would be on a case by case basis. If you live far from a big town, where finding a skilled luthier is sketchy, you could end up devaluing. Folks looking to invest in this level guitar tend to prefer making their own choices about what to fix and who is permitted to lay hands on it.

Dave

• Like 1

Condition and originality are everything. As far as the Reverb listings goes, you can ignore the one in Japan: they ask ridiculous amounts of money. As a reference, one of the rarest banner SJ's--a beautiful rosewood-bodied one from the fabled FON 910 batch-- sold for about what they are asking for the one linked by Jedzep above. I inspected it a couple of years ago, and it was in excellent vintage condition.

As Jedzep says, unless you have a luthier who is an expert in working with vintage Gibsons and Martins, you should not have anyone work on it before you sell it. Those of us who collect and play vintage guitars prefer to make our own decisions about who works on them, and what is done to them.

The guy who works on my guitars, who is one of the best around, says he spends a large percentage of his time undoing previous "repairs." He would rather work on one that has never been touched, no matter how bad it is.

• Like 1

Yep I guess that makes sense. The only thing I ever had to do  on my watch(20 yrs)was repair a blown brace that was pulling up the top, and the guys at the Guitar Emporium in Cambridge did it. The tuning pegs have ben changed and I don't think the bridge is oreginal. Same frets though. The thing is a pleasure

2 hours ago, corbieres123 said:

Yep I guess that makes sense. The only thing I ever had to do  on my watch(20 yrs)was repair a blown brace that was pulling up the top, and the guys at the Guitar Emporium in Cambridge did it. The tuning pegs have ben changed and I don't think the bridge is oreginal. Same frets though. The thing is a pleasure

A photograph would help.

Look carefully with a light from different angles and a magnifying glass to see if there is a lightly penciled red number after the four-digit stamped number. This pencil number fades, and can be almost impossible to see. 

That FON of 2694  plus truss rod suggests 1944 build period.

There are four other SJ's from batch 2694 listed in the Banner registry:

banner gibson

That looks like it might be a replacement bridge, since it is not a slot-through saddle. The other SJ's with that FON also have straight bridges like yours, whereas many banner SJ's had belly-up or belly-down bridges

On 1/10/2020 at 1:36 PM, j45nick said:

Look carefully with a light from different angles and a magnifying glass to see if there is a lightly penciled red number after the four-digit stamped number. This pencil number fades, and can be almost impossible to see. 

That FON of 2694  plus truss rod suggests 1944 build period.

There are four other SJ's from batch 2694 listed in the Banner registry:

banner gibson

That looks like it might be a replacement bridge, since it is not a slot-through saddle. The other SJ's with that FON also have straight bridges like yours, whereas many banner SJ's had belly-up or belly-down bridges

Thanks for linking to my and Willi's Banner Registry, Nick!

I agree with Nick's observations, except that there were no belly-up bridges during the Banner years.

1 hour ago, jt said:

Thanks for linking to my and Willi's Banner Registry, Nick!

I agree with Nick's observations, except that there were no belly-up bridges during the Banner years.

As JT says, SJ's in the banner years had either rectangular bridges, or belly-down ( Martin-style) bridges. Most banner Gibson flat tops seem to have had rectangular bridges.

1 hour ago, j45nick said:

As JT says, SJ's in the banner years had either rectangular bridges, or belly-down ( Martin-style) bridges. Most banner Gibson flat tops seem to have had rectangular bridges.

All but the SJs had rectangular bridges. Of the SJs, probably half had belly down.

It really is hard to assess value, in part because of your location. The fact that the fretboard is Brazilian rosewood complicates life. The bridge looks like it is probably Indian rosewood. The simplest thing is to try to sell it within your country, or maybe somewhere else in the EU where it might be hand-delivered.

If the guitar were for sale in the US, based just on what we can see in the photos, the asking price might be in the high four figures. Just follow the Reverb prices, and watch how they continue to be marked down, or if they sell.

The playing condition of your guitar is not apparent from the photos. Someone has certainly flailed on it a lot with a pick at some point in its life.