Gibson Brands Forums

NGD Hagstrom Fantomen Well, some

Pinch

On 1/23/2020 at 2:54 PM, Pinch said:

Thanks for the advice!

I just finished the set-up. A few frets could use a little touching up - still! Can't hear it through the amp or DI, so I'm leaving well enough alone. I've had to adjust literally everything. I'm done NOW - what's it been, a month?

It sounds great and I do love it (now), but jeez Louise, what a pain in the butt this one was.

Now it's set up and playing to your satisfaction, settle back and enjoy it.

It's a shame about the decline of bricks & mortar stores. I bought my Hagstrom Viking in 2009 from a little Mom & Pop store called "Bluesmaster Guitars" in Durham, North Carolina - alas now closed, so I hear. After I decided to buy it, the owner, who really knew his business, set it up for me beautifully - I went back a couple of days later to collect it. His price (+ case) was more or less the same as the online price from a big retailer - the set up was essentially just part of the service. Not bad for what was then a $700 guitar.

The modern day Hagstroms are mid-priced guitars, but my own experience is if you find one you like, it becomes a true keeper. In the 11 years I have had mine, other, much more expensive stuff has come (and often gone). As the old cliche goes - if  I could have only one guitar, it would be this one.

I thought about buying a Rickenbacker 620 for my 40th a couple of years ago. Saved up the money, was ready to pull the trigger.....and never quite did. Ending up putting the money into the down payment on a new (to me) car, instead.

I can't imagine how many playing hours I must have put into that Hagstrom. It's been gigged, and carted around to endless jams at friends' houses. A few years ago I needed a bit of electrical work doing on it - nothing major - the luthier who did the work, a rather upscale shop where I now live in Virginia, rather condescendingly said "Well, not wishing you bad luck, but the frets will lift on these Asian made guitars eventually, that's just a given." 11 years in, hasn't happened yet. If it does, I'll take it somewhere else to get it fixed.

As I type this, it sits on its stand next to my American Standard Telecaster. I think I'll go and play it.

None of this is intended as that silly hyperbole one sometimes reads online about how some guy is convinced his 335 knock off is actually better than a Gibson Custom Shop at three times the price. This guitar is certainly not equal in quality to an expensive Gibson. I just like it. If I bought a Gibson 335, it would gather dust on a stand next to the Hagstrom, not as an inferior guitar, but because I'd still prefer my old Hagstrom. Some guitars are just that way.

Good luck with yours.

Edited by Lord Summerisle
  • Like 1

If you bought it new from a major Retailer you could've have exchanged it for another.. You could've had the new one in a week! 

I've had to do that a couple times & they sent me a perfect exchange in one case.. In the other, after 3 attempts I had no interest in the Guitar & bought something else which ended up being much better..

In any case I hope yours ends up well & you enjoy it..

Edited by Larsongs

On 1/27/2020 at 4:59 PM, Larsongs said:

If you bought it new from a major Retailer you could've have exchanged it for another.. You could've had the new one in a week! 

I've had to do that a couple times & they sent me a perfect exchange in one case.. In the other, after 3 attempts I had no interest in the Guitar & bought something else which ended up being much better..

In any case I hope yours ends up well & you enjoy it..

Floor model. Last one. Good price.

The bridge has individual string retainers that are  pretty much useless. Cheapest bridge ever. I'm waiting for a replacement, either a perfect stock one or an upgrade, and it'll be on their dime.

It would appear this model's target audience is Ghost fans who are not too picky or knowledgable about guitars (no way in HELL Ghost use these bridges live, regardless of what Hagstrom would have you believe), but that is no excuse when they're in the vicinity of 800 smackers new.

Phenomenal tone, sucky QC, cheapo parts. Once I get everything sorted out, I'll probably use this one more than any other guitar I've ever owned.

But I'm disappointed - shocked, even - that they'd throw below-entry level parts on a supposed signature guitar.