Gibson Brands Forums

FBX Editor on Mac Sierra/Mojave/Catalina etc.

SdStrummer

Hi,

I'm trying to install the FBX editor for my Firebird X guitar on my Mac.  I've tried it on Catalina and even reverted way back to High Sierra and in both cases the application installation fails.  Are there any tricks that will help me install other than install some ancient version of MacOS?  This guitar was very expensive and it would be a shame if there's no way to use it with mac. 

I'd set it up on my Windows machine, but I have a high dpi display and things don't look right.  I can't even tell if my guitar and accessories have the latest software version because the lines that state the version are all overlapping and it appears it can't detect the version.

Thanks,

SDStrummer

They shut down the FirebirdX specific forum and it now redirects to this forum.  Someone can update the package to work on current MacOS.  The question is will they allocate the minimal resources required, or will they leave everyone who bought their fancy guitar to hang in the wind.  I'm hoping it's the former.

8 hours ago, SdStrummer said:

They shut down the FirebirdX specific forum and it now redirects to this forum.  Someone can update the package to work on current MacOS.  The question is will they allocate the minimal resources required, or will they leave everyone who bought their fancy guitar to hang in the wind.  I'm hoping it's the former.

Oh I'd bet a whole bunch they'll leave 'em hangin in the wind.  A lot.

rct

• 1 year later...

I don't understand why the editor can't be downloaded even in its unsupported state. Surely Gibson didn't delete every last bit of their data from this venture.

Btw, I just started a facebook group fro Firebord X users, perhaps some people can chime in with their experience and keep the information flow going for the few people who actually own one.  I can't post links here, but if you search in facebook groups for gibsonfirebirdx, you'll find it.

15 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

This is why I will never buy another computer based product from Gibson OR Fender.  They could have a great new market here but they choose to sell and then dump support so you will buy the "new version".  Or at least that was the story with Fender and the Mustang line of amps.  

I know what you mean, but really the same thing applies to ANY company making computer based products.

2 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

No sir, I work in IT. My workstations and operating systems last a whole lot longer than the 2-3 year cycle Fender has their digital products on.   And servers? Over a decade.  For example Windows Server 2003 was released in 2003 and went "end of support" in 2015.   Even the Chromebooks are in support longer than a Fender Mustang amp.  

Sure, but, whenever the inevitable end of cycle comes, whether 3 years or 10, people will be upset, because they look at their hardware. I would just keep an old laptop around and consider it part of the system.

2 hours ago, stefangs said:

Why so? Lots of vintage Fender amps around.

Get Bad Blues Player to take apart one of his old ones and any of the recent digital type things, including my ToneMaster Deluxe.  The modern stuff isn't built even close to the ones you are comparing them to.  Crappy surface mount pots.  Barely plastic mounted jacks and switches.  The stuff you fiddle with every time you take it out is the stuff that goes first, and it's the stuff they cut costs on first.  The chassissii alone on my old Twins weighed more than two of my entire amps today.

Thousands of times I've written it: I use them because I love them, I hate them because I use them.  All things Fedner are a delightful mix of fantastic and just plain maddening.  Same as they ever were.

rct

That makes a lot of sense and is probably true for most brands and products that may not even build instruments or amps. That said, I love the tone of my Champ, the build quality has yet to prove itself, but I'm using it mostly in the living room, turned up to between  .5 and 2, so I imagine it can do that for a long while 😉

• Like 1