Gibson Brands Forums

Question about an ES 335 1971

dgkchaney

I have a 1971 ES 335 which is all original except for the tuning keys. It has the original case with it that is all beat up so I have bought a new case because such a fine guitar deserves a nice home. The question here is does having the original case even in not so good condition add value to the instrument. I still play it and the new case will ensure that it remains in excellent condition but can I get rid of the old case and not diminish the value of the guitar?

Personally I could care less about the original case. I know people go insane about their case csuse it has the pink original fluff in it. As long as it comes with a decent one. I don't play cases I play guitars. A case is something I put a guitar in to get from point A to point B. But for resale value maybe.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

In 1982 my father bought a new (1981) Martin M-38.  It came in one of those blue thermoplastic cases. He didn't like them because he was afraid of banging the guitar on the aluminum edges. He bought a new plywood case, no idea what brand, but right in line with any good case. I think he sold the brand new blue case to the pawn shop for $50 just to be rid of it. 

In that particular case (no pun intended) I wish he had stuffed it in the attic because it would bring a couple hundred bucks or more nowadays.

1 hour ago, ksdaddy said:

In 1982 my father bought a new (1981) Martin M-38.  It came in one of those blue thermoplastic cases. He didn't like them because he was afraid of banging the guitar on the aluminum edges. He bought a new plywood case, no idea what brand, but right in line with any good case. I think he sold the brand new blue case to the pawn shop for $50 just to be rid of it. 

In that particular case (no pun intended) I wish he had stuffed it in the attic because it would bring a couple hundred bucks or more nowadays.

I'm going into the vintage case buisness. 1st customer rct. I like the Martin thermoplastic cases better than Geib ones. Guess I'm weird that way.