Gibson Brands Forums

Denver from southeastern Indiana

Viper1973

As a new years resolution I decided by the end of the year that my goal is to learn how to play a guitar.  I've played piano since I was second grade however lost interest in it over the years - It's just not a 'social' instrument.  A few of my friends play and convinced me that it's actually much easier than piano was and alot more fun.  Up until 12/31/19 I had never even picked up a guitar.  At their recommendation, my first guitar was an Epiphone Masterbuilt.  I'm taking online lessons since my work schedule is so whacky and really enjoying it.

My goal was to become proficient by the close of 2020 and then purchase a J-45 Standard which I have always thought was one of the most beautiful instruments I'd ever seen as a reward of sorts for myself.

Fast forward to now...

After getting really lucky at work and earning a bonus my family convinced me to go ahead and get my 'dream' guitar early - which I did.  My J-45 just arrived and I'm excited to learn all I can about my new hobby.

1 hour ago, Viper1973 said:

After getting really lucky at work and earning a bonus my family convinced me to go ahead and get my 'dream' guitar early - which I did.  My J-45 just arrived and I'm excited to learn all I can about my new hobby.

Wow, major congrats!  You've gone straight to the good stuff!  I also started out with Epiphone Masterbilts.  I had four at one point, all different woods.  Back then, the J45 was also my dream guitar.  Then I decided to sell the Masterbilts and get a J15, which was (and still is) getting great reviews.  Then I got waylaid and picked up a Guild jumbo, and I've since been focusing on 12-strings, but I don't imagine you can go wrong with your J45.  Hey, we need some photos!  Best of luck with that thing!  It's easier to learn with a great guitar!