Gibson Brands Forums

Custom shop shorcomings

ashtone

imageproxy.php?img=&key=89575f46c0208ea7imageproxy.php?img=&key=89575f46c0208ea7imageproxy.php?img=&key=89575f46c0208ea7Hi everyone. I have a Gibson Custom 1963 SG Standard in VOS Alpine White with a Maestro tailpiece. I purchased it from Wildwood Guitars in Colorado. Gibson makes a big deal about how accurate their vintage specs are, but I sure don’t agree. I understand why they don’t use Brazilian Rosewood, but do not understand why they can’t get the little details right. The shape of the inside upper and lower cutaways (horns) are not at all accurate, and there are a few odd humps, apparently from whatever CAD machining process was involved in construction. I’ll try to attach a picture. Additionally the fingerboard shows tooling marks from the radius cutter, the fingerboard extension onto the body is too thick, the binding color is wrong (too yellow) and they left masking tape on the short piece of binding on the heel of the fingerboard. That’s not every single thing, but it’s enough to be disappointing when talking about a $3K guitar. I’m 66 years old, and had a couple of originals. The little details may not mean much to some, but these things add up to a lack of attention to detail on Gibson’s part. Don’t tell me how accurate your vintage detail is unless it’s true. Gibson, it’s not accurate. Some of us actually know and care.

2FCF8684-AC6A-4A75-8023-B6D2BBC76C46.jpeg

19F77CF8-F634-4353-B49F-AFF57D9C37DA.jpeg

0576A07A-1EE3-4B1D-B27E-163AE2247C20.jpeg

D627C0BA-52DA-415C-917B-9E8FA3C80FCD.jpeg

Edited by ashtone
Notify me of replies