Gibson Brands Forums

Identify my Dad's old Gibson Acoustic

jehale

44 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

One of my more  bizarre schemes is to dig up a 1960s Gibson body on the cheap, slap on a Harmony Sovereign neck, and add an octave G string.  

scientistist.jpg

I have a couple of those 1260 Harmonys.  They have a tone of there own. 

Just remembered something.  Back in the early Eighties, the airline damaged one of my Dad’s guitars.  I starting to think it might have been this one.  No way way to know for sure, but it would make sense.

11 hours ago, slimt said:

I have a couple of those 1260 Harmonys.  They have a tone of there own. 

I have three of them - ranging from the late-1950s to the late-1960s plus a 1942 H165 Stella and  a 1956 H40 with the Gibson P13 pickup mounted beneath of the fingerboard extension.  

While my blockie is stock, the late-1960s 1260 now sports an old Guild pin bridge and my mid-1960s brownburst Silvertone 633 a pin bridge and X bracing.  

11 hours ago, j45nick said:

Spider John Koerner strikes again....

Complete with added banjo tuner.  The reason for the Sovereign neck is I like them a  lot..  If anything the carve of the  Harmony necks is similar to that used by Gibson in the 1950s but with a 1 3/4" nut.  I am also thinking I could roll the bridge and go with a more generous string spread than Gibson gave you.  Just gotta find a carcass first.  As it is not looking all that hopeful,  I will just have to go with one of my Sovereigns when my repair shops re-opens its doors.

Edited by zombywoof