Gibson Brands Forums

1942 LG1 Tuners

Dave F

I picked up this LG1 off EBay a couple years ago. The tuners that came on it looked to be the Stewmac Golden Age. I swapped the buttons to black to match other ones I've seen.

Last week I found a pair on EBay that look to be the 1940-1943 era. After cleaning them up a little bit the numbers seem to support that era.

They were missing one gear and shaft which I had some spares.

Since the Golden Age are working fine, I'll probably leave them on and throw these in the case with the original  bridge and nut.

Here's the picts from EBay

ebay kluson purchase 1

ebay kluson purchase 2

Here's where I am on the cleaniing up process

Kluson tuners

Kluson tuners

Kluson tuners

Current tuners

42 LG142 LG1

Edited by Dave F

Those oldies obviously have some worn gears and a different gear ratio compared to the Golden Age models, but they are a good find. You have to be on a lookout for others you can cannibalize for parts such as gears  and string posts.

The Antique Acoustics replacement buttons are the most accurate around, and you can get them in both black and cream.

Great find!

BTW, a little while back, I got copies of the original specification sheets for all of the Banner models.  All were spec-ed with white bridge and end pins (this and other discoveries will appear in a second edition ... sometime).

I'll second Nick's recommendation for Willi's and Rudie's Antique Acoustics replacement buttons and tuner replicas.

11 hours ago, jt said:

Great find!

BTW, a little while back, I got copies of the original specification sheets for all of the Banner models.  All were spec-ed with white bridge and end pins (this and other discoveries will appear in a second edition ... sometime).

I'll second Nick's recommendation for Willi's and Rudie's Antique Acoustics replacement buttons and tuner replicas.

Thanks for the info! Is your LG1 still out on loan? If you ever want to borrow mine your welcome to it.

10 hours ago, Dave F said:

Thanks for the info! Is your LG1 still out on loan? If you ever want to borrow mine your welcome to it.

Yes, it's still with Jennifer Nettles. We're working on a project that I cannot disclose.  I've still got my minty 1943/44 SJ, so all is OK. 🙂 Thanks for the offer, though. I miss my LG-1!

96852309_10216022688173344_5215323571433