Gibson Brands Forums

New Guitar, Bad String Buzz

jw3571

1 hour ago, Paul14 said:

The 6th string E looks ridiculously low to me. If I were you I would take this guitar to someone who is  certified to work on Gibson’s. I believe that a new nut would be covered under warranty.  If it’s not the nut, like I said before, a setup should not cause bankruptcy! 
one other question, have you replaced the strings! What size are they? Ok that was 2 questions.

All good info and observations. And yes, a good question about strings. . . setup should be matched to string gauge, but a new guitar? One would have to be fairly particular about strings to get in a new guitar and immediately change the strings. 

7 minutes ago, 62burst said:

All good info and observations. And yes, a good question about strings. . . setup should be matched to string gauge, but a new guitar? One would have to be fairly particular about strings to get in a new guitar and immediately change the strings. 

Guitar center (if that’s where it was purchased) could have done something stupid. I know it may sound unbelievable but, just Saying. lol

first thing I do when I buy a guitar is change the strings. Just me I suppose.

I put 12’s on my Dreadnought jr, & it buzzed like crazy until I put 13’s back on it. Buzz disappeared after that.

10 minutes ago, Paul14 said:

Guitar center (if that’s where it was purchased) could have done something stupid. I know it may sound unbelievable but, just Saying. lol

first thing I do when I buy a guitar is change the strings. Just me I suppose.

I put 12’s on my Dreadnought jr, & it buzzed like crazy until I put 13’s back on it. Buzz disappeared after that.

Come to think of it, on a used guitar, I do get around to re-stringing it fairly soon- it's part of the getting-to-know-you process.

And "used" from Guitar Center? Absolutely. . . goes without saying- that's where strings go to die. Might even be biohazard, these days.

2 hours ago, 62burst said:

I do. I use 11 - 52. I don't want strings some corova virus havin' sicky has been strumming. 

This was not purchased from Guitar Center but I did buy it from a Gibson dealer online.  I have not changed the strings yet.  I usually like 13's on my guitars but I'm not sure that would really suit the Dove.

9 minutes ago, jw3571 said:

This was not purchased from Guitar Center but I did buy it from a Gibson dealer online.  I have not changed the strings yet.  I usually like 13's on my guitars but I'm not sure that would really suit the Dove.

Looking at the nut, I’m not convinced a string change will solve the problem. If it were me I would  let someone “qualified “ have a look at it. If the nut is cut wrong, I believe it would be covered?  If it’s as bad as it looks in  the pics, it would be a pretty easy fix, for somebody who knows what they’re doing . Plus as much cranking on the truss rod as has been done. That probably needs to be looked at too.

if you like 13’s it wouldn’t hurt to try those.  Nothing to lose.

unless someone put crazy light gauge strings on there, I don’t think changing strings will eliminate the buzz, but it might? I t should not buzz with 12’s or 13’s.

Edited by Paul14