Gibson Brands Forums

ES335 INFO

Ades

Hello please can you take a look at the pictures and info on a ES335 i have purchased .
It was advertised as a Gibson ES335 Dot 2018 Sixties Cherry.
The COA,  inside Label head stock and Warranty card all show the same serial number.
the hang tag card states it has MHS 11 pick ups and orange drop caps, the info below states 
Black Beauty capacitors and MHS 1 pickups.
I have removed the bridge pickup and its has a label MHS 1 under neath so that ties up.
I know it was built in November 2018 according to the serial number  but the inside label has Memphis 2019.
The guitar feels right if you know what i mean the only thing that looks sightly wrong is the machine heads are a bit misalined.
My main worry is I cannot find any info on Gibson's website that relate to the specs below.
The 2018 61 ltd have VOS on there pickup covers and the later Sixties cherry have Calibrated T pickups.
On the COA the model comes back as a DOT ES335 not a 61.
Please any help to put my mind at rest thanks.

8HWQ22O.jpg

zFa3FkOl.jpgJr1FnEpl.jpg9ernZRll.jpg55zaJPsl.jpg9ernZRll.jpg

Body

Body Material: 3-ply Maple/Poplar/Maple
Finish: VOS Nitrocellulose Lacquer

Neck

Neck Material: Quarter Sawn Mahogany
Neck Profile: 60's Slim Taper, Rolled Binding
Scale Length: 24.75"
Fingerboard Material: Dark Rosewood
Fingerboard Radius: 12"
Number of Frets: 22
Frets: Medium Jumbo - 18% Nickel Silver
Nut Material: Nylon
Nut Width: 1.687"
End of Board Width: 2.241"
Inlays: Pearloid Dot
Truss Rod: Vintage

Hardware

Finish: Nickel Bridge ABR-1 with plated brass saddles
Tailpiece: Lightweight Aluminum
Tuning Machines: Kluson Double Ring Keystone Buttons
Pick Guard: 5-ply Black (B/W/B/W/B)
Control Knobs: Black Top Hats with Silver Inserts (CH), Gold Top Hats with Gold Inserts (HB)
Switch Tip: Cream

Electronics

Neck Pickup: MHS Humbucker Rhythm
Bridge Pickup: MHS Humbucker Lead
Controls: MTC Historic : 2 volumes, 2 tones, 1 toggle switch, hand-wired with matched 550K potentiometers and Black Beauty capacitors

First and foremost, write to Gibson for specs.

Gibson has become less and less forthcoming about publishing specs, so you can't expect to find them onsite like before.  And even then, models that we ordered by dealers (like GC/MF) never did have specs shown on the Gibson site.

What do you want to feel better about?  You don't ask any specific questions.  You clearly have a 2019 model made in late 2018.  At least from what you say, but you're not showing any numbers.   You say the model number "comes back".  From where?   Since your looking for feedback it is much more helpful to post the number.  Much better yet to post *pics* of all the numbers.  

Where did your specs come from?  If from the dealer, that can be tricky.  Dealer say they post info exactly as given to them by Gibson.  Gibson will give you specs, but will not confirm nor deny specs given to dealers.  And even more exasperating, even the specs given  by Gibson may not be 100% correct.   All legally covered by the Gibson disclaimer that specs are subject to change.  So "trust but verify".

You seem to have done your homework on this. So where did the specs you quote come from? The store you bought it from?

The 2018 Gibson specs will be listed, so I expect you have looked at them all for comparison. 

Therefore any variation here would be down to the previous owner customising the guitar. Have you checked back with the seller about this?

2 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

You seem to have done your homework on this. So where did the specs you quote come from? The store you bought it from?

The 2018 Gibson specs will be listed, so I expect you have looked at them all for comparison. 

Therefore any variation here would be down to the previous owner customising the guitar. Have you checked back with the seller about this?

Hello and thanks for the replies, my number one concern is that i have purchased a fake ES335  and would like verification I haven't, people on here are far more knowledgeable than me. 

I have contacted Gibson twice by email and once by phone and got no reply.

I can post pictures of the serial number I just thought I might get into trouble for doing so.

the specs were listed by the dealer, but the dealer is in Denmark and i am in the UK so its not easy to verify but it was brand new.

I will add pictures of the serial number when i get home, like I said I am more concerned that its not a genuine ES335 than the actual   specs of the guitar, its just because I cannot find the 

same guitar one Gibson's site I have started to worry.

9 minutes ago, Ades said:

Hello and thanks for the replies, my number one concern is that i have purchased a fake ES335  and would like verification I haven't, people on here are far more knowledgeable than me. 

I can post pictures of the serial number I just thought I might get into trouble for doing so.

the specs were listed by the dealer, but the dealer is in Denmark and i am in the UK so its not easy to verify but it was brand new.

I will add pictures of the serial number when i get home, like I said I am more concerned that its not a genuine ES335 than the actual   specs of the guitar, its just because I cannot find the 

You can reveal the serial number here. Plenty of people have. What about the link I put up? It looks pretty much like yours to me.

At the bottom of this page are further links including serial no. FAQs.

There are also Sites that you can enter your serial number & they return what it should be.

48 minutes ago, Ades said:

You can stop worrying.  As I said, not finding it on the Gibson absolutely does NOT mean it does not exist.  And there is also absolutely nothing you have said or show that indicates it is nothing but totally legit.  Everything so far says it is legit.

2 hours ago, Wmachine said:

You can stop worrying.  As I said, not finding it on the Gibson absolutely does NOT mean it does not exist.  And there is also absolutely nothing you have said or show that indicates it is nothing but totally legit.  Everything so far says it is legit.

Thanks Wmachine here are some more pictures and serialuBlw7FX.jpgHTIQyJ5.jpgI0ijlEC.jpgB6FBgie.jpgmAVtAj2.jpgjwtM4Bw.jpg

Serial number: 13098719

Production year: 05 November 2018 (serial nr.: 719)
(Manufactured in Nashville or Memphis.

Results for 13098719
This guitar was made on 5 November 2018 in Nashville

Thank you to everybody that helped in this matter, just to let you know Gibson came back with the following information:

The serial number refers to a  guitar ES-335 Dot in Antique Faded Cherry. 

Thats all they said.

Edited by Ades

8 hours ago, Ades said:

Thank you to everybody that helped in this matter, just to let you know Gibson came back with the following information:

The serial number refers to a  guitar ES-335 Dot in Antique Faded Cherry. 

Thats all they said.

As I said, they are less and less forthcoming with specs, but that is ridiculous.   Did you specifically ask for specs?

Yes I asked for specs

Well a little more info but looks like there is no definitive answer:

I’ve double checked the serial number and it refers in our database to a guitar ES-335 Dot in Antique Faded Cherry. It’s possible during the transition period from Memphis to Nashville factory and production, your guitar had a couple of different specs.

Then:

As mentioned, it was a transition period, so is possible tuners were changed.

Edited by Ades