Gibson Brands Forums

Do cherry tops still fade?

paddybrown

This is my number one guitar, a much modified 2015 LPM. The finish is heritage cherry.

main-qimg-ce1e8e1fa9acc4621894adc6cbe3d7

I think the finish has faded a bit since I bought it. I might be imagining it, but I think the red used to be deeper. It has a nice grainy plain top that's only really visible when the light's right, and hardly ever shows up in photos. Here's one where it did:

75237499-10156310987181184-3121285422722842624-o

So my question is, does the cherry red dye Gibson uses still fade when exposed to sunlight, and is there any way to accellerate that to make the wood grain more obviously visible?

Yes it should fade.  Keep it on a stand by a window which lets through strong sunlight for several hours a day and it will fade naturally over....18 months. 

Looking at pics on the net (I googled heritage cherry) there is great variation in the colour.  I don't think you can speed up the process of fading.

I have a guitar which I unintentionally faded this way.  It is a sunburst; eventually all the sunburst faded and I had to choose whether to get it redone or leave it as it was.  Though it looked nice faded, I went for a re-burst as it does look better.

Best wishes!

7 hours ago, jdgm said:

Keep it on a stand by a window which lets through strong sunlight for several hours a day and it will fade naturally over....18 months. 

I don't think you can speed up the process of fading.

...well John, you could emigrate to a country that has regular sunshine and do the same. [smile]

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, 'Scales said:

...well John, you could emigrate to a country that has regular sunshine and do the same. [smile]

Ho ho...at my age I'm fading naturally anyway! 

In fact it has been a lovely sunny summer in England this year and looks good for another couple of weeks at least. [cool]