Gibson Brands Forums

P90 vs Humbucker

daveinspain

• 6 months later...

does anybody have any idea what the output values are on the SG Classic stock P-90's? I'm in serious love with my 2008 Classic, but I can't help but wonder what different pickups might sound like in them. However, before making any sort of purchase, I want to know what kinda output they are in comparison to some of the aftermarket selections there are to be made. I am concerned that I will get something that has MORE output than I currently have. I know, I know, everyone wants screaming hot pickups....but I am not really interested in that. I'm just interested in more tone! Any thoughts from the nerds out there? Also, are any of you changing the values of anything in the electronics?

I've played lots and lots of guitars, and I must say, this SG Classic holds up in tone and versatility to lots of vintage and modern classics, and for me, has become my #1. I can sleep at night knowing that I've found the guitar I was supposed to be playing!

• 2 years later...

Check this out...

Quite a range of tones for 1 pick-up, 1 volume, 1 tone.

I have a thread going—just a little ways under this one—regarding a new SG (maybe an LP Studio) purchase in the offing. Part of my "dilemma" is whether to get a guitar with Humbuckers or P-90's. Your video just put P-90's out in the lead...

Thanks, for that unintended "advice"! [thumbup]

Archived