Gibson Brands Forums

Studio BFG

xxx

Hi, I just got a new Studio BFG guitar of the week #25. It was $799 as a scratch and dent from American Musical Supply. I love the P-90 paired with the BB-3 in the bridge. And the workmanship on this one is top notch( unlike my second reverse flying V that I just sent back, for multiple quality control issues= crooked tuners, bridge plate misalignment, etc....) I was seriously thinking of the BFG but hated the unsanded look. Thus the studio filled the bill!! Plays and sounds magnificent!

Hey Tim, I have the spec sheet that I pulled off the Gibson web site back in week 25 on the Studio BFG. It shows neck position is P-90 and Bridge is Burstbucker 3. Now if I could only figure a way to post pics, as I am technically challenged when it comes to all things computer!!

Until I can have a nine year old show me how to copy and paste my avatar will have to do for a pic of my new L.P.BFG Studio! I'm going to have to clean this paste off my monitor now!:P

is there a chance of changing the position of the toogle switch back to its original lp placement, and add a seond tone control? or would i be wasting my time? i'm thinking about buying a bfg and finish it, put in some custom inlays and stuff... but the control layout doesnt do it for me...

Oyster re-wired his BFG actually he re-finished BFG which came out awesome, here's

the thread :

Oyster BFG thread

Towards the bottom you'll find his response about the wiring :

c3lew wrote:

Wow!!! You did a great job on that BFG. Did you have to add any washers/spacers when you added the fourth pot? Did you use a long shaft pot?

Thanks!

You just need an extra nut - like the rest of the pots. Then you can adjust it just right, but it did require a couple larger washers since the hole there is larger to take the switch originally.

I did use a long shaft pot, straight from Gibson. Then I wired it so each pickup has a volume and tone to itself.

Tim A also posted an image of an xrayed BFG :

Chamber_BFG_2007-1.jpg

What were the "scratches/dents" on your guitar?
The P-90 cover has some very light scratches on the surface, and the backside on the lower edge toward the strap button had a scuff that I buffed out.

Archived