Gibson Brands Forums

Hello,

Hope you are all doing good.

I have a question, I saw and bought a guitar from ebay last week, a Gibson traditional 2015 Ocean blue, with some imperfections/issues, some where pointed out by the seller and some didnt, the fact is I would like to understand if those are "acceptable" issues from your own personal point of view as well as if those are "normal/common" issues I should come up with in those 2015 guitars, I am still in the period I could send the guitar back.

The other thing is, will that reduce the reselling price ? If I were to re-sell it maybe after 5 years considering I'm not gonna damage it more and keep it in the same condition as its now ?

Thanks for your reply in advance 👍 

Note: the back lines does not feels superficial I pass my fingers on top of them nd I cant really fell them.

20200927_123603.jpg

20200927_123829.jpg

20200927_123628.jpg

20200928_094148.jpg

20200928_094218.jpg

Are those the marks the seller didnt mention?

It looks superficial. My Gibsons are 2015 and I have gigged them. They have a few playing marks on them but no finish cracks as far as I can see (I dont constantly scrutinise).

I dont know what you paid. I dont know what it will be worth in 5 years time. I dont even know what model of guitar you have there. 

2 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Are those the marks the seller didnt mention?

It looks superficial. My Gibsons are 2015 and I have gigged them. They have a few playing marks on them but no finish cracks as far as I can see (I dont constantly scrutinise).

I dont know what you paid. I dont know what it will be worth in 5 years time. I dont even know what model of guitar you have there. 

Hello there,

Its a  les paul Gibson traditional 2015 Ocean blue.

I paid 1955 USD with shipping

the lines on the  back side was the only info given by the seller.

what intriges me the most is the vertical lines on the neck binding (close to the frets, close to the lower E) i wonder if that is normal and the backing lines are weird to me.

54 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Have you tried cleaning it? That looks like “finger cheese” on the binding.

$1,955 seems like a lot for that model

Thank u mate! 

You were absolutely right, it was more than cheese 🧀  there it came even with the macaroni !!

The reason why I didn't clean it was 1- I didn't know if it was glue due to a crack,  2- if I was going to send it back, why should I clean it ? 🙂

We have one "mistery" solved.

about the price, it was the cheapest I could find of that colour in ebay (europe) same model.

I live in the UK, but the price did seem the upper end of what that model is going for to me too.

I just got my LP out (also 2015) to have a look. I don't have the neck binding staining that yours has, but close examination shows fettling marks so dirt could accumulate in there I think. I only ever gigged mine 3 or 4 times so its not taken much punishment. 

If you are unhappy enough about undisclosed wear & blemishes, then arrange a return. Especially since you paid top dollar. On the other hand, these don't look anything serious, so If you like it / bond with it enough that's different. Either way you deserve to be happy about it. 

19 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

I live in the UK, but the price did seem the upper end of what that model is going for to me too.

I just got my LP out (also 2015) to have a look. I don't have the neck binding staining that yours has, but close examination shows fettling marks so dirt could accumulate in there I think. I only ever gigged mine 3 or 4 times so its not taken much punishment. 

If you are unhappy enough about undisclosed wear & blemishes, then arrange a return. Especially since you paid top dollar. On the other hand, these don't look anything serious, so If you like it / bond with it enough that's different. Either way you deserve to be happy about it. 

Good reflection, and now without the "neck" issue, I still wonder about the back lines that seems to be under the laquer but yet not deep enough to be a proper crack... seems very bizarre to me, I'm not used to "used" guitars I have 15 and all had been new including the other 2 gibson (studio and tribute) but I do take care of all of them, they will never in bad condition at all.

The neck look like this now 

20200928_155614-min-min (1).jpg

I just took a better look at the photos and see what you mean with the cracks in the lacquer. It looks like the wood of the guitar shrunk slightly due to moisture related issues causing the finish to crack. 

This shouldn’t affect playability at all but is a cosmetic blemish that should be noted by the seller

19 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

I just took a better look at the photos and see what you mean with the cracks in the lacquer. It looks like the wood of the guitar shrunk slightly due to moisture related issues causing the finish to crack. 

MrP says the cracks seem to be under the lacquer, but from the pics it does look like  lacquer cracks. The 2nd to last pic (with wine bottle) shows 3 parallel lines. The pic clearly shows the reflection is broken (refracted) where the lines occur. 

They might be very fine cracks that feel smooth.

Edited by merciful-evans
clarity

Guys, thank you for the replies for real, it helped me to make up my mind, I will keep it the love is growing strong every time I play it beside that all the madness is on the back side, hope it does not destroy thue price if I ever wanna get rid of it later in my life -cant keep accumulating guitars this cant be a good sing 🙂 -

The top is kinda gorgeous, has a lot of character.

Check it up. (The picture was from the seller... looks kinda professional indeed but thats the guitar we had been talking about)

Once again thanks!

Screenshot_20200928-172814_Teams-min.jpg

Edited by Mr. P
fixing some typos

14 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Guys, thank you for the replies for real, it helped me to make up my mind, I will keep it the love is growing strong every time I play it beside that all the madness is on the back side, hope it does not destroy thue price if I ever wanna get rid of it later in my life -cant keep accumulating guitars this cant be a good sing 🙂 -

The top is kinda gorgeous, has a lot of character.

Check it up. (The picture was from the seller... looks kinda professional indeed but thats the guitar we had been talking about)

Once again thanks!

Screenshot_20200928-172814_Teams-min.jpg

Oh Yeah! Not usually a fan of figuring, but that definitely belongs on that blue. Amber knobs are the perfect choice too.

I leave the pickguard off too, and love those wide necks.