Gibson Brands Forums

Bigsby install question

Rob Lee

I have a Gibson ES 345 TDSV reissue, gold hardware. Can a Bigsby vibrato be installed without damage to stereo or other controls? If so, what model would work; B7, B30, etc.?  I know it wpuld leave two holes where stock bridge exists, but they are usually covered up by a black/white lettered "CUSTOM" insert.

If I am not mistaking, this model is setup like a stock ES-135.   Those had a trapeze tail piece as well..   which in fact  looks just like the examples of  ES 345 TDSV I see on the net.

There is no stop bar.  Just the posts for the bridge.

FWIW  I added a bigsby B7 to my ES-135 and not only did that guitar come to life (removing the trapeze tail piece really helped...) I had no ground issues or electronics problems at all.

I installed a Bigsby  B7 on my 2009 Es-345 using a Vibramate. It worked great. Not only did I avoid drilling any holes in my guitar but it raised the Bigsby high enough off the face of the guitar to make the bridge break angle perfect for smooth  operation of the Bigsby and keep the guitar in tune.

Thanks john

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fish Crumpet said:

Bigsby B7.  It shouldn't interfere with wiring in general, but I believe that the 345 grounds at the stop tailpiece. With that string/ground connection gone you can see that you have to run a ground to the Bigsby at the end pin location where it screws into the rim. Since the body's center block is there, you'll have to create a hole and thread the ground from the controls diagonally through the block to the endpin location. It's an easy job to mess up. Good luck.

Think I'll pass on installing one. Thx for the reply.

You can use a Vibramate & install a Bigsby without cutting any holes or damaging any part of the Guitar... It's completely reversible & leaves no marks that would show it was ever there.....

I have one on my Gibson ES Les Paul Memphis Blacktop.. Looks great & works perfect.. Bigsbys are an & important Effect to have on your Guitar.. I won't buy any more Electric Guitars without a Bigsby or a Tremelo... 

22 hours ago, powerwagonjohn said:

The Vibramate spacer plate is held to the guitar by the endpin then the Bigsby screws to this plate so no holes.

Thanks John

I think the Vibramate kits all need to be installed on something with a stop bar.  The model in question for this tread I don't believe has one.