Gibson Brands Forums

Vintage Gibson Guitar Case - Geib - SJ200 ?

Marshall50w

I am far from vintage case expert, and I have never had a Geib case from the 1940s in the house but have had a few which dated to the 1920s and 1930s.  The ones I have owned have had one or two raised diamonds (depending on the year) showing on the lid of the storage cubby.     

Edited by zombywoof

6 hours ago, zombywoof said:

I am far from vintage case expert, and I have never had a Geib case from the 1940s in the house but have had a few which dated to the 1920s and 1930s.  The ones I have owned have had one or two raised diamonds (depending on the year) showing on the lid of the storage cubby.     

Thanks for the information, checked and no 'raised diamonds' on the storage cubby lid so none the wiser.

Actually I was wong abouf the raised diamond - I believe a single diamond meant Geib while a double diamond meant Harptone.  Even my newish Harptone case has that feature.  Duh.  Also Geib used a medallion on the inisde of the cubby hole lid later on.   There are all kinds of ways to identify cases such as by the Keratol or Tolex covering or the stamp on the hardware.  I am just not the one to do it.  And as I said, I only had Geib cases in the house dating from before-1940.  But the case also may not be as old as you think and date later.  There are lalso a couple of good articles out there discusiing old Gibson and Martin guitar cases.

Edited by zombywoof

This sent me down a rabbit hole. The hardware on your case is from the Excelsior Hardware company of Stamford, CT. Geib was in Chicago, but presumably hardware could have come from anywhere.

It seems that a Geib case typically has the name on it somewhere, embossed in the covering material, a medallion inside, etc.   I assume you've gone over the entire case carefully looking for evidence.

There are several good articles on this website:

vintage cases