Gibson Brands Forums

New EPI, Sheraton or Gibson inspired 335? Or maybe 339Pro?

sjturbo

Looking for a new semi hollow and think I have narrowed it down to one of these three. Leaning more towards the Sheraton or 335 because although the 339 might be a better size I'm thinking the larger body will sound better. I currently have a Hamer Aztec Gold Echotone but would like an EPI/ Gibson scale. Would appreciate some opinions on which one or not! Thanks!

I’ve owned a real 1959 Gibson ES345 & own a Gibson ES335.. Both are wonderful Guitars...

There was a period after I sold the 345 & was missing it that I bought an Epi Dot 335.. It was a great Guitar & everybody was trying to buy it from me. I finally sold it to a good friend as I needed some cash to fund another purchase.. Later I bought a Gibson ES335 & still have it...

I have played a bunch of Epi Pro 335’s & never ran into a bad one.. Every one has been great! The Pro’s Pickups sounded better to me than the Epi Dots... IMO either would be an excellent choice for a really great moderate price Guitar that is well Crafted, looks, plays & sounds great, 

The new Gibson Inspired ES-339 and ES-335 (with the new headstock) are built very close to the current Gibson spec with the Rounded C Profile neck, which I love to death.

The Sheraton Pro (older clipped ear headstock) has the Slim Taper D profile and the Emily Wolfe Sheraton Stealth (new headstock) has the 60s SlimTaper C profile neck.

My slightly modified Gibson Inspired ES-339

QUKtFLN.png

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1

I really depends on your own preferences, as said above neck shapes vary on the models as do the finishing details, inlays etc. Think of the sheraton as the 355 compared to the 335, with the different inlays, binding and headstock details etc.

I have two sheratons, one with mini humbuckers and a frequencator tailpeice, like the original. This has a totally different sound and feel to my other hollow bodies, have you seen or considered the new riviera?  It will offer something different in sound to the sheraton 2 or the 335.