Gibson Brands Forums

1996 Gibson Dove vs similar age SJ-200

lhnewman

1 hour ago, BoSoxBiker said:

It will sound like a guitarist playing a song called, "I Beat Analysis Paralysis". 🤣   (I'm just kidding!!! - It's a joke. Take it easy!)  I actually played that song twice in the past year. Once (last July) I landed on a Rosewood SJ200 and the next time (last month) I landed on a Love Dove. The Dove came in 2nd or 3rd twice before I landed on it. 

Have you seen thing thread from last year that's made it back to the 1st page? I've long forgotten about it. There are a bunch of examples of a Dove in there, including one used on stage by one of our own. It's about 12 posts in. Take away the ambient spacial sounds of the room, echoes and any airy effects he might have on it and you can plainly hear it. A new one will need to age, but if you're looking at a 25 year old Dove already, I can't imagine that using the right pick/fingers/strings/capo/tuning will land you a million miles away from it, and that's based on my new one. A few others are in that thread, too.

I'm looking at a 1996 Dove standard spruce natural top with maple sides and back, naturally

9 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Good idea - here's mine after getting golden waffle backs in 2018

The waffled 96 Dove march 18 #1

sorry, I'm a little confused...are you saying a 1996 Dove has a chance of being much better sounding than a relatively new one?  " million miles away " confused me

19 minutes ago, lhnewman said:

sorry, I'm a little confused...are you saying a 1996 Dove has a chance of being much better sounding than a relatively new one?  " million miles away " confused me

A 25 year old guitar will have 25 years on its cape, , , in its wood and the way the wooden components vibe together.                                                                                                                                                                                            That won't make it better than a new version, just singing from further back on the road.                                                                                                                                                              Another thing is that I've heard a lot of good things about the 90s Gibsons - especially after they went nitro. Bozeman really got their act together by then.

BoSoxBiker talked about 'million miles away'. Maybe ask him what he meant. . 

Edited by E-minor7

14 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

A 25 year old guitar will have 25 years on its cape, , , in its wood and the way the wooden components vibe together.                                                                                                                                                                                            That won't make it better than a new version, just singing from further back on the road.                                                                                                                                                              Another thing is that I've heard a lot of good things about the 90s Gibsons - especially after they went nitro. Bozeman really got their act together by then.

BoSoxBiker talked about 'million miles away'. Maybe ask him what he meant. . 

I worried if how I wrote this was clear. My bad. Here's what I wrote in reference to Jinder's performance in that thread and the prospects of a new one being anything close. "A new one will need to age, but if you're looking at a 25 year old Dove already, I can't imagine that using the right pick/fingers/strings/capo/tuning will land you a million miles away from it, and that's based on my new one. "  In other words, put a new one in his hands in the same situation and it will probably be close enough to be recognized as a Dove, but will still need years to finish developing all those nuances of tone. So, a new one will not be a million miles away from what a 25 year old Dove sounds like in a general sense, but will need a lot of time to get all those nuances of tone to develop.

41 minutes ago, lhnewman said:

I've got very limited experience playing guitars with decades on them, but I'm convinced there is merit. A 1968 Hummingbird still haunts me. I'm betting that unless there is something wrong with the Dove your looking at, it should sound better than my new Dove by virtue of being broken in. Mine already does with just a few weeks on it. You've got an even older D-35. Doesn't it sound better or at least different than those on a wall somewhere? I think that's what folks are saying.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BoSoxBiker said:

I worried if how I wrote this was clear. My bad. Here's what I wrote in reference to Jinder's performance in that thread and the prospects of a new one being anything close. "A new one will need to age, but if you're looking at a 25 year old Dove already, I can't imagine that using the right pick/fingers/strings/capo/tuning will land you a million miles away from it, and that's based on my new one. "  In other words, put a new one in his hands in the same situation and it will probably be close enough to be recognized as a Dove, but will still need years to finish developing all those nuances of tone. So, a new one will not be a million miles away from what a 25 year old Dove sounds like in a general sense, but will need a lot of time to get all those nuances of tone to develop.

I've got very limited experience playing guitars with decades on them, but I'm convinced there is merit. A 1968 Hummingbird still haunts me. I'm betting that unless there is something wrong with the Dove your looking at, it should sound better than my new Dove by virtue of being broken in. Mine already does with just a few weeks on it. You've got an even older D-35. Doesn't it sound better or at least different than those on a wall somewhere? I think that's what folks are saying.

thanks...that's what I thought you meant...makes sense..and thanks

On 5/19/2021 at 2:32 AM, EuroAussie said:

I own both, early 2000's production. Between the two I prefer the Super Jumbo as it has a more balanced, lush tone which is simply perferct for strumming. I also like it a lot for figner picking. If you like a thicker bass, bottom end than the Dove should be a strong consideration.  

thank you for responding Aussie

I may be not an expert on the subject, but I am partial to the Doves. I have owned five during my  fifty years plus playing guitar, and it is a great strumming instrument in my opinion. I have given away three of them to a close friend and two relatives, and the two I will keep to my dying day. I owned a 1995 J-200 in the past, and it sounded great. The body of it did not allow me to get comfortable with her, and the neck width and neck thickness was to great for me to get comfortable with it. I c could play a couple of songs on it, and would get very tired playing it with my small hands. Mind you, it was a great sounding instrument, but fighting with the body size and the neck were too  much for me to wrestle with. The Doves were the right body size and neck for me to play for hours and hours.  I sold the J-200 to a guy on the west coast, and the two Doves I am keeping are a 2004 Doves in Flight (my favorite ), and a  2016 Quilted Limited Edition model.  I hope in some small way this helps in your decision in with which model to choose. Remember  you have to be comfortable playing her. JMHO  

18 hours ago, Rich H. said:

I may be not an expert on the subject, but I am partial to the Doves. I have owned five during my  fifty years plus playing guitar, and it is a great strumming instrument in my opinion. I have given away three of them to a close friend and two relatives, and the two I will keep to my dying day. I owned a 1995 J-200 in the past, and it sounded great. The body of it did not allow me to get comfortable with her, and the neck width and neck thickness was to great for me to get comfortable with it. I c could play a couple of songs on it, and would get very tired playing it with my small hands. Mind you, it was a great sounding instrument, but fighting with the body size and the neck were too  much for me to wrestle with. The Doves were the right body size and neck for me to play for hours and hours.  I sold the J-200 to a guy on the west coast, and the two Doves I am keeping are a 2004 Doves in Flight (my favorite ), and a  2016 Quilted Limited Edition model.  I hope in some small way this helps in your decision in with which model to choose. Remember  you have to be comfortable playing her. JMHO  

it really does, Rich...in fact the size of the guitar and nut is a concern of mine....in fact I just posted a question about that...I have average size hands, however...is is the nut width or the right arm that tire's you out? or both...this is a real concern except that I don't usually play more than 3-4 songs at one sitting...thanks in advance

With me it was the left fingers that would tire out first. I started out playing drums for a couple of years before picking up the guitar, so I had plenty strength and rhythm in my right arm. The body on the J-200 was always slipping out of my lap lap also. The Doves just nested in my lap , and the 1 .75 length of the nut made the strings close enough to play barre cords with ease. Like I said, I have small hands and could play for hours in my prime..