Gibson Brands Forums

So...I tried to take my J-45 out of the case...

gearbasher

.... and it would not come out. The neck was stuck in the u-shaped cradle. I pull it out with some effort and there was an extremely tacky residue on the neck and the cradle. My only thought is the glue used to put the lining in oozed out. Thank God, a little polish took it off the neck with no damage.  This is a 2006 guitar with the original case. Strange that something like this happens after 15 years.  

Any one else experience this?

Edited by gearbasher

1 hour ago, gearbasher said:

.... and it would not come out. The neck was stuck in the u-shaped cradle. I pull it out with some effort and there was an extremely tacky residue on the neck and the cradle. My only thought is the glue used to put the lining in oozed out. Thank God, a little polish took it off the neck with no damage.  This is a 2006 guitar with the original case. Strange that something like this happens after 15 years.  

Any one else experience this?

Hmmm. Just what did you get into last night?😎

Did you actually see any glue in that area? When is the last time you played that guitar and/or were the conditions unusually warm? What style case is it?

Here's a photo of the case. The best I can do. I guess you can see where the tackiness is. I already cleaned the neck. As far as conditions. The guitar was out of the case maybe a month ago. I've kept it in the same room for all it's life. That room does see temps from 65 to 90 degrees depending on time of year. The only thing I can think of is about a week ago it went from 70 to 90 degrees in 12 hours. But after 15 years, you would think the glue has dried permanently.

I guess I'll have to put something there to prevent this. I'm guessing some plastic wrap and a piece of polishing cloth.

DSC02421.JPG

Edited by gearbasher

I don't play this guitar very much. Hell, I don't play very much at all these days.  At one point, I had 14 guitars ( 10 Gibsons)  all in the same room. Nothing like this ever happened. As far as too snug. I just put a layer of plastic wrap over the tacky spot. Then I put a piece of polishing cloth on top of that.  Because, I don't know if the nitro will react with the plastic wrap. The case closed easily. So, I guess it wasn't too snug.

I don't think there was a reaction to the neck finish. It just looked like what I would describe as a thick "tape residue" on the neck. Some Gibson polish took it right off. There is, now, no evidence it was ever there.