Gibson Brands Forums

Is it a Gibson????

Fubio

I have an older case that i can only find limited info on. How can i tell if this is a gibson case? The only thing i can find that matches this is a picture of a model 600 case from the 50's

Its pretty rough on the outside but the inside isnt so bad.

16308742007063592985035488483408.jpg

16308742386754534971901832548652.jpg

1630874266446185744548554845292.jpg

16308742947592951303635520209905.jpg

Edited by Fubio
Mispelled

I am far from an expert on cases so take this with a grain of salt as I could be on puppy chow.  Yes, Lifton did supply 600 Faultless plush cases for Gibsons with a 17" lower bout such as the L5, ES-5 Switchmaster, and J200.  But why do you assume the case in the picture is one of these?  There was nothing on the cases to indicate a model number only a badge telling you what company made the case.  But I have never seen one of these cases from the 1950s with that color tolex nor with a lock located on the headstock side of the handle.    Not does it seem to line up with a Stones Case Co. or Ess & Ess.  What you might do though is a search for 1950s models such as the Swicthmaster which have been offered with their original cases.  But basically you got me.

4 hours ago, Fubio said:

Does anybody have an idea of how or where to determine the value of this case

Go and compare with the markets on the web - besides there is an FB-site on old cases. You'll find jewels there - in fact that page is a treasure for you.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Good Luck

To determine value you have to first determine the maker whether it be Lifton,  Ess & Ess, Victoria Luggage, Stone or whatever and then figure out  what brand of guitar would have been slapped in it or if it was a generic aftermarket case.  Sometime in the 1950s cases supplied with Gibsons sported a small brass plaque with Gibson and a star on it which was located around where the lock on your case is.  But without anything to ID the case you have to go by features such as the covering and hardware.  

Edited by zombywoof

On 9/5/2021 at 8:20 PM, 62burst said:

Yes. . . 'never seen that color. . . . Could definitely be somebody's jumbo case. Go ask the Guild guys. Get a measurement across the lower bout- 16" or 17" ? 

Even jumbo cases that have an arched top could show some evidence of . . . 

Tqfq1bs.jpg?1

A  600 Faultless case presupposes it was built for a guitar with a 17" lower bout.  The 400 Series were for guitars with an 18" bout, the 500 for those with a 16 1/4" to 16 1/2" bout and so on.  I have never seen any case though which had an kind of an identifying series or model number.  So if it is a Lifton case (which I am not convinced this one is)  the measurements would tell you what model it was.