Gibson Brands Forums

Help me identify my Sheraton II

Pl4y3r

I have a Sheraton II NA .  I purchased it secondhand, so not sure what it is, how old it is, and where it was made.  I suspect it is just a Chinese made model. It has a very impressive low action and plays very nicely - so happy with it no matter what.

Some things that may help.

• 5-ply binding on body front, pickguard, neck and headstock
  • single ply on f-holes and back of body
  • no "E" on tortoiseshell pickguard
  • abalone coloured inlay at the top of the headstock flower
  • gold hardware (as usual looking a bit worn)

2021-09-22_10-13-14.thumb.jpg.e013c164d4575bc2965f615b048db0b5.jpg

At a glance, it is a post-2004 Sheraton II, likely made in China, as you said. (Though most archtops were still made by Korean contractors until 2006)

If it has push-pull knobs, it is probably a Sheraton-II PRO, which makes it 2015 or later. It's hard to tell, but it looks like it has a LockTone bridge (based on the size of the studs), which was also introduced in 2015.

Looks like it could be a Sheraton II Model ETS2, it it has a 5-piece maple/walnut neck (1986-2007), if it has a Maple neck with scarf-joint (2008-Current)

http://www.epiphonewiki.org/index/Sheraton.php#Sheraton_II

If you can provide the serial number it would help identify it. Newer versions would have a serial number on the back of the headstock or older versions serial number is usually inside the F hole. Sometimes they have both.

Edited by mihcmac

34 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

Looks like it could be a Sheraton II Model ETS2, it it has a 5-piece maple/walnut neck (1986-2007), if it has a Maple neck with scarf-joint (2008-Current)

If you can provide the serial number it would help identify it. Newer versions would have a serial number on the back of the headstock or older versions serial number is usually inside the F hole. Sometimes they have both.

Found the serial number in the f-hole.  Also found a web site that translated the serial number into info - and it turns out to be Chinese as I expected.  About 10 years old.

Thanks for the help

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

It's a scarf joint.

A couple of discrepancies to what the wiki describes.  The neck is 5-ply bound, and the pickguard does not have the "E".

As per my other post, serial # puts it 10 yr old from China.

Thanks

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pohatu771 said:

If it has push-pull knobs, it is probably a Sheraton-II PRO, which makes it 2015 or later. It's hard to tell, but it looks like it has a LockTone bridge (based on the size of the studs), which was also introduced in 2015.

No push pull knobs.  So just a II not a pro.  Bridge may have been changed I suppose.

Thanks