Gibson Brands Forums

Raw Power ? Pretty raw?

dc3c46

As for price' date=' suggested street price is something like $1,119... my local shop is going to price them at $999, so they are right in line with the faded series, but hopefully much cooler. We'll see, I guess.[/quote']

That's good, Gibson's site says the MSRP is $1,858, which is more than the Studio. I would've been a little upset if the stripped down studio was more expensive. Although, to be honest, I don't see a reason people are calling these "stripped down" studios. I mean, the defining characteristic of a Studio is just that it's an unbound Les Paul. The change in tonewood is actually something I've been considering doing when I start building my own guitars since, as someone else mentioned, Les Paul initially wanted the first LP to be solid maple. But other than, the only differences are different pups and different (read- uglier) finishes. I mean, seriously, Olive Green? There's really a market for that?

But overall, I'm pretty stoked. I'd love to get a natural finish with gold hardware. I've been wanting something with '57s in it, and this is perfect since I'm a fan of Studios anyway.

That's good' date=' Gibson's site says the MSRP is $1,858, which is more than the Studio. I would've been a little upset if the stripped down studio was more expensive. Although, to be honest, I don't see a reason people are calling these "stripped down" studios. They're basically the same thing with different (some might call them better) pups and different (read- uglier) finishes. I mean, seriously... Olive Green? There's a market for Olive Green guitars?

But overall, I'm pretty stoked. I'd love to get a natural finish with gold hardware. I've been wanting something with '57s in it, and this is perfect since I'm a fan of Studios anyway.[/quote']

I think the major difference over a faded studio will be the pups (which is probably a bad thing, IMO) and the maple body and fretboard (which is probably a good thing, IMO). I'm really hoping it is as cool as it should be... the chambering will be the dealbreaker for me if it feels like the other chambered models I have tried. If I end up picking one up, I will probably end up swapping out the pups for the normal studio setup of a 490r and 498t. Unless the different wood changes the sound enough... I just don't want 2 LPs with identical tones, and my Traditional already has '57s.

I'm still firmly rooted in the "we'll see" camp.

Archived