Gibson Brands Forums

70's Gospel NEED HELP Identifying it .

WILL FRET4FOOD

I've never seen one exactly like that. The celluloid binding looks to be holding up perfectly, which is a bit of a miracle.

The rectangular "Union Made" label was only used for a few years in the 1970s, I believe.

If you are trying to determine when it was made, the serial number can help us do that.

Edited by j45nick

The square Union-made label shows up by the early-1970s so what you would expect to find in a Gospel.  The presence of back bracing/solid back beats the heck out of me though. It could have been a custom order.  As far as I know Gibson did not use labels or anything which would have identified it as such.  Odd thing is it was the arched back that made the Gospel stand out in the crowd of over braced guitars.   

Edited by zombywoof

Yeah the year isn't my issue my issue is the obvious differences from what it should be , and who I could contact  to about to find out more . I have a J55 which is an arched back so I'm very familiar with these models but this one is the odd ball . Truthfully I bought it back then because it wasn't right LOL  . 

1 hour ago, WILL FRET4FOOD said:

Why is everyone hung up on the label and the year ? I  already know  just like everyone else ..the details are what's important . 

As you know, the construction details of your guitar  are inconsistent with the standard Gospel.  The body and neck construction--it looks like a one-piece maple neck--are similar to the J-35 in the same period. The J-35 in this period was much like a Dove without the bling.

Does it have an ebony fretboard and bridge, or  rosewood?

It is possible that this guitar started out to be a J-35, but ended up as a Gospel for some reason. It is Gibson, after all.

What is the pickguard like?

I don't know very much about the square-shoulder Gibsons in the period other than the Dove and the Hummingbird.

Well it has a three piece maple neck , book matched bound braced back with all the appointments of a heritage just in solid maple back and sides with a spruce top not rosewood back and sides  obviously , and yes it has an ebony fret board and bridge .now when I first got it it did have the original pick guard that was a tear drop style . I'll put up a picture of it .

Edited by WILL FRET4FOOD
added info

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rk8R6JMuP2w7SFKS6 

all the pics of the guitar including the one with the original pick guard when I first got it , I've since replaced it with the regular style from the era .

I have owned it for a  while .  The speculation has always been there and any time I talk to Guitar geeks I always bring it up top see if someone has an answer ..that being said its an odd ball killer guitar that if anyone on here owned would want to know the origin story . So pointless is being on here to talk about anything I guess IJS .

5 hours ago, j45nick said:

As you know, the construction details of your guitar  are inconsistent with the standard Gospel.  The body and neck construction--it looks like a one-piece maple neck--are similar to the J-35 in the same period. The J-35 in this period was much like a Dove without the bling.

Does it have an ebony fretboard and bridge, or  rosewood?

It is possible that this guitar started out to be a J-35, but ended up as a Gospel for some reason. It is Gibson, after all.

What is the pickguard like?

I don't know very much about the square-shoulder Gibsons in the period other than the Dove and the Hummingbird.

Even though I remember these guitars when they were brand new and hanging on music store walls I never really bothered with them so also do not know a whole lot about Gibsons built this late in the game.   But as far as I do know the J35 (at least in name) and the Gospel never co-existed in the same place and time until Bozeman.  

But it is possible this oddball Gospel was a later-day version of a 1930s floor sweep guitar and built with some leftover parts such as back wood which would have adorned something like a Dove.   Could have been one of a kind or one of a small run.   Also brings to mind the first Epiphone Texans which were built with leftover Epi French Heel necks slapped on a J50 body.  Waste not, want not.

15 hours ago, zombywoof said:

Even though I remember these guitars when they were brand new and hanging on music store walls I never really bothered with them so also do not know a whole lot about Gibsons built this late in the game.   But as far as I do know the J35 (at least in name) and the Gospel never co-existed in the same place and time until Bozeman.  

But it is possible this oddball Gospel was a later-day version of a 1930s floor sweep guitar and built with some leftover parts such as back wood which would have adorned something like a Dove.   Could have been one of a kind or one of a small run.   Also brings to mind the first Epiphone Texans which were built with leftover Epi French Heel necks slapped on a J50 body.  Waste not, want not.

You are correct, according to Fabulous Flat Tops. There was a square-shoulder J-35 brought to market in 1985, which was essentially a Dove without the bling. It was apparently only on the market for two years. The OP's guitar reminded me of that one, but the timeline is wrong in any case.

On 12/7/2021 at 9:22 PM, WILL FRET4FOOD said:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rk8R6JMuP2w7SFKS6 

all the pics of the guitar including the one with the original pick guard when I first got it , I've since replaced it with the regular style from the era .

I have owned it for a  while .  The speculation has always been there and any time I talk to Guitar geeks I always bring it up top see if someone has an answer ..that being said its an odd ball killer guitar that if anyone on here owned would want to know the origin story . So pointless is being on here to talk about anything I guess IJS .

Hello friend and welcome . 

Your Gospel is indeed a rare concoction of Gibson parts it would seem .

Looking at your pictures with the original pick-guard....which is very much like an early 1970`s  j 160 e  , add that to the back bracing ,could be a j 160 body and a Gospel adorned neck .

Does the Gospel have double x top bracing or ladder bracing ? I think Gibson was using ladder bracing on the j 160e .

Thanks for sharing , you may never find out exactly ,,,,,,,but you own a lovely bit of Gibson history there.

I suspect that’s a custom order or an employee built guitar, I’ve come across a couple of those over the years. 

I can’t speak to the specifics of the exact guitar, but ‘70s Gospels were often superb, and I would imagine this one is, too. The bridge footprint seems larger than usual from the pics, and from the top wear I would imagine the pickguard that was fitted when it came to you was original, all of which points to either a custom order or a guitar built by an employee from odds and ends in the factory. 

I have a 1995 Dove with a ‘70s style bridge. These anomaly guitars are out there…part of the joy of Gibson ownership!

On 12/10/2021 at 10:19 AM, 75 Hummingbird said:

Looking at your pictures with the original pick-guard....which is very much like an early 1970`s  j 160 e  , add that to the back bracing ,could be a j 160 body and a Gospel adorned neck .

Does the Gospel have double x top bracing or ladder bracing ? I think Gibson was using ladder bracing on the j 160e .

Thanks for sharing , you may never find out exactly ,,,,,,,but you own a lovely bit of Gibson history there.

Thanks , I have over time decided it doesn't matter to me because of the playability is superb  and is part of the family at this point . But like all orphans the unknown of its birth is heartbreaking LOL .

On 12/10/2021 at 10:19 AM, 75 Hummingbird said:

It has ladder bracing .

3 hours ago, WILL FRET4FOOD said:

It has ladder bracing .

3 hours ago, WILL FRET4FOOD said:

It has ladder bracing .

Well hell ,that is a quirky bit of kit , cool ! . Put the original pick guard back in it`s rightful place  man .

The guitar looks as thought it has had it`s motor kept running through the years,  Keep it running and enjoy it .

I would love to hear a sound bite of it ...curious about the ladder brace . 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2021 at 12:43 AM, 75 Hummingbird said:

Well hell ,that is a quirky bit of kit , cool ! . Put the original pick guard back in it`s rightful place  man .

The guitar looks as thought it has had it`s motor kept running through the years,  Keep it running and enjoy it .

I would love to hear a sound bite of it ...curious about the ladder brace .