Gibson Brands Forums

Some LG3 videos

BluesKing777

When I was in my teens, my older brother’s  LG-3s was my favorite guitar.  He had no clue how often I played that thing when he wasn’t around.  I don’t think he knew either that I would take it with me to my high school sometimes.  But, then when he moved out when I was 20,  and took the LG-3 with him, I was stuckeroo back with only my own Kay guitar.  Shortly after I ended up buying a used 1965 Epiphone  FT30 Caballero for $75 to upgrade from the Kay, but it never was like that LG-3.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

• Like 1

Hmmm, great story thanks QM!

But I am going to pin my younger brother down and ask it it was he or my sister that scratched the top of my (no name) acoustic while I was out when a kid....hmmm......he is always evasive when asked. He lives a 1000 miles away but is moving closer.....and I will corner him!😁

Don’t think it was my sister - she lost interest after somehow getting my father to buy her a guitar for school lessons........and being told to ...gasp....cut her nails........goodbye!

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

Amazingly, not much interest on these fabulous LG3s.....

So, my ‘59.....I have a ‘fake book’ with 1200 songs! Mix of everything...

I play the melody line, try to make it ‘sing’ a bit, advantage of the fake book is that some other boffin has worked out all the chords in the original key, usually Eb or Bb or ZZ😄

Then I do the chords...

Then I make a fingerpicking arrangement with first versions having a simple version of the written chord on the first beat of each bar, add the melody, and we are getting somewhere! Then over weeks, months, years, we get various versions in all level of difficulty and hopefully, something sticks in the head that I play without looking!

Even if I just play the famous hook, eg..first line of Fly Me To The Moon, in a totally different song, eg, Rocket Man...then I have made something...

Where am I going with this? Yep, you guessed, the ‘59 LG3 is just fabulous for these duties....63 year old wood just sings those melodies!

BluesKing777.

13 hours ago, jt said:

Did someone mention LG-3s? 🙂

My current favorite guitar.

Nicely done, JT!

Is that your version of One Way Gal?

Have you played the brand new version of the Custom Shop LG2 1942 Banner? Comparison? You would be the ideal candidate! Hop over to Wildwood Music and have a pick, please, then review!

My 59 has non scalloped bracing and I find I can really dig in (fingerpicking).....nice. Have never played an vintage one with scalloped, or the new ones for that matter. like to hear the diff in person, but....none here.

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

Mark A answers our question on the difference in sound of the scalloped LG2 Banner with the non scalloped LG3.....

He plays (fingerpick) the same song first up on the LG3 and the LG2 next! Probably need some cut and paste and overlay each other, but the rest of us have to listen to all of it.

BluesKing777.

9 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

Nicely done, JT!

Is that your version of One Way Gal?

Have you played the brand new version of the Custom Shop LG2 1942 Banner? Comparison? You would be the ideal candidate! Hop over to Wildwood Music and have a pick, please, then review!

My 59 has non scalloped bracing and I find I can really dig in (fingerpicking).....nice. Have never played an vintage one with scalloped, or the new ones for that matter. like to hear the diff in person, but....none here.

BluesKing777.

Thanks, BK!

That tune, which I accurately call my Mediocre Ditty, began life as Stefan Grossman's "Stompin' on the Tappahannock." What's left of that arrangement is in the first 12 bars. I made up what follows.

I've tried few modern Gibsons. I should remedy that. The best I can offer is this comparison of my original Banner LG-1 and Gibson's replica of it (at Gibson's request, some years ago I sent 4 guitars from my personal collection to Montana for Gibson to produce a limited run of 50 replicas of each):

1 hour ago, BluesKing777 said:

FYI, JT - Here is the fabulous "One Way Gal" by William Moore:

Well, well, well. I now know where Stefan got that riff. Thank you!

William "the ragtime barber" Moore is one of my heroes. Not sure how I missed this recording. Again, thank you!

14 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

Mark A answers our question on the difference in sound of the scalloped LG2 Banner with the non scalloped LG3.....

He plays (fingerpick) the same song first up on the LG3 and the LG2 next! Probably need some cut and paste and overlay each other, but the rest of us have to listen to all of it.

BluesKing777.

I just listened to both the LGs above again, iPad.....queued up just the fingerpicking tune he plays - I think I like the 58 LG3 punch a bit better than the Banner....

Good, eh - I have a similar 59! No need for cash outlay at all!😁

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777