Gibson Brands Forums

If You Ever Wondered What Makes a 1920s Gibson L3 Tick

zombywoof

Thanks for posting that, ZW!

Before the previous great leader changed the import/export rules, not sure why, I could just look at Elderly online and contact a couple of people there and get a good deal and a guitar was flying by Fedex direct to my place! Also bought some new Martins, but not allowed now - have to go through a local dealer, who has...zip....

Before that, I had a few nasty learning experiences through eBay. But kudos to Elderly - the pony express always got through and......guitar intact. 

Now, most guitars I bought were intact, untouched by them except for their setups (which have been great and have not needed anything done since).........but my 1944 Martin 0-17 had all kinds of things done to it to get it back to playable, including neck set with a small wedge under the end of the neck to make up for previous bad work. So I guess it was on those benches in the video for quite a while. And it still plays great, thanks!

I assume my poor old 1935 L50 Gibson Black Special #4 was also doing time on that bench! Aye Yi Yi. (and that guitar still plays like a new setup guitar!) Thanks again!

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

14 minutes ago, BluesKing777 said:

Thanks for posting that, ZW!

Before the previous great leader changed the import/export rules, not sure why, I could just look at Elderly online and contact a couple of people there and get a good deal and a guitar was flying by Fedex direct to my place! Also bought some new Martins, but not allowed now - have to go through a local dealer, who has...zip....

Before that, I had a few nasty learning experiences through eBay. But kudos to Elderly - the pony express always got through and......guitar intact. 

Now, most guitars I bought were intact, untouched by them except for their setups (which have been great and have not needed anything done since).........but my 1944 Martin 0-17 had all kinds of things done to it to get it back to playable, including neck set with a small wedge under the end of the neck to make up for previous bad work. So I guess it was on those benches in the video for quite a while. And it still plays great, thanks!

I assume my poor old 1935 L50 Gibson Black Special #4 was also doing time on that bench! Aye Yi Yi.

BluesKing777.

In all the years Elderly and I have co-existed I have only ever talked to them about making one purchase - a 1939 Vega Profundo.  Problem was it had never seen their work bench and was one of their "As Is" instruments.  Even though I am not faint of heart when it comes to guitars, their description of its condition and assessment of all the work that was needed was enough to scare even me off . 

Edited by zombywoof

20 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

In all the years Elderly and I have co-existed I have only ever talked to them about making one purchase - a 1939 Vega Profundo.  Problem was it had never seen their work bench and was one of their "As Is" instruments.  Even though I am not faint of heart when it comes to guitars, their description of its condition and assessment of all the work that was needed was enough to scare even me off . 

I had one guitar that I could not sale and I didn't understand why. Sent it to them for evaluation and consignment.  It sold for my asking price (which was higher than they recommended) within a couple days. Their fees are on the high side but their reputation carries a lot of weight.

On the bracing - I had an old Harmony closet queen arch top with a carved top and the braces were part of the carving. I traded it to my luthier who fell in love with it and did not want to give it back to me.

It was his main guitar for a few years.

38938991_2372556216095631_58006291431628

On 4/4/2022 at 7:11 PM, Dave F said:

I had one guitar that I could not sale and I didn't understand why. Sent it to them for evaluation and consignment.  It sold for my asking price (which was higher than they recommended) within a couple days. Their fees are on the high side but their reputation carries a lot of weight.

On the bracing - I had an old Harmony closet queen arch top with a carved top and the braces were part of the carving. I traded it to my luthier who fell in love with it and did not want to give it back to me.

It was his main guitar for a few years.

38938991_2372556216095631_58006291431628

The only Harmony to have been built with a caved top plate was the Cremona.  Yours looks to be an H50.   

These early Gibsons though had the same bracing pattern as the mandolins.  What is amazing about these guitars is the carved tops were radiused to line everything up so the arch was not uniform.  If you are not familiar with them it is easy to think the top is deformed rather than the way it is by design. 

And no doubt that Elderly comes with the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval.

Edited by zombywoof

2 hours ago, zombywoof said:

The only Harmony to have been built with a caved top plate was the Cremona.  Yours looks to be an H50.   

These early Gibsons though had the same bracing pattern as the mandolins.  What is amazing about these guitars is the carved tops were radiused to line everything up so the arch was not uniform.  If you are not familiar with them it is easy to think the top is deformed rather than the way it is by design. 

And no doubt that Elderly comes with the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval.

It was a Cremona VI