Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird date/ID help please

Romans5

Hey everyone, I’m new here and joined to help a friend who just received some old guitars from her grandfather’s estate. One of the looks to be an older Hummingbird, but she can’t find a serial number. 

I have not seen the guitar yet in person, but I have some photos I’ll try to past to see if any of you folks can help. It would be much appreciated, thanks.

5B9CC217-7631-4A15-B8B9-EECE22E4A1EA.thumb.jpeg.7ccd5fd7bc794123e7fb287127ecce6a.jpeg8D3405F6-B87D-4827-BA4F-7B047B7B9B55.thumb.jpeg.482d07b3e319aeef7ab48f8f9115f6dd.jpeg

Thanks! I can’t wait to hear how it sounds. I’ve heard not-too-great reviews of 70’s Gibson acoustics, but ya never know till you play it. 

Is there anywhere I should tell her to check for a serial number? Or did they just not put them on during some productions years.

36 minutes ago, Romans5 said:

Thanks! I can’t wait to hear how it sounds. I’ve heard not-too-great reviews of 70’s Gibson acoustics, but ya never know till you play it. 

Is there anywhere I should tell her to check for a serial number? Or did they just not put them on during some productions years.

I'd think on that year's model the serial number would be on the back of the headstock....it's not there?

My take = 1969 to 72.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      No serial #, , , but a Made in U.S.A. ??