Gibson Brands Forums

L-00 Problem

jheath

17 minutes ago, BluesKing777 said:

Is there a reason they decided to put a soundhole in those archtops instead of the usual arch ...err....   top?

(My 35 Gibson Black Special #4 has that kind of 78 rpm sound - better drag it out on the weekend - fantastic V neck!!!).

BluesKing777.

If you are talking about the f-holes because Lloyd Loar had not invented them yet. 

What is really amazing about these old round soundhole archtop guitars is the way Gibson carved the top to line everything up.  Also as it dates to before 1925 it has a hand rubbed shellac spirit varnish finish.  

But as I have said, the neck on the L3 is the most comfortable I have ever wrapped my hands around.  I used to own a 1935 Gibson-made Capital J2 archtop which also had a nice fat V neck,  

Edited by zombywoof

Well, I didn't do any of what I said - instead of playing my old 35 archtop, I played the 2006 Martin EC I found at a pawn shop a couple of years ago and had fixed....wow, wow, wow, after fix! I mention it because it also has a nice V neck and a fair bit of real estate for fingerpicking - 1 3/4" nut and 2 1/4" bridge space ( abit rare on modern Martins) - all EC's choice and he knew a thing or two about acoustic blues playing!

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777