Gibson Brands Forums

B-25 or LG-3?

coltonnelson

Can someone help me identify this guitar? I bought it from a lady off Craigslist. She said she found it in a property she bought and was selling it dirt cheap and new nothing about it just wanted it gone. There’s no sticker on the inside and it has been altered some. No pickguard, new tuners. It’s X braced. The serial number identified it as a 1963 or 1964. The bracing leads me to believe it’s a B-25n but I just don’t know enough about old Gibsons. It looks a lot like a b-25n. Rosewood back and sides, spruce top. However simple black rosette and the bridge don’t quite match up with other b-25n’s I’ve seen online. Any ideas?

9D5C4537-C3FA-41B1-A43E-8DEEFAB8C523.jpeg

im not hugely familiar with the lineage but if it's 62 or 64 my guess would be it'd be rare to be an lg3 (which are rare across the board) and likely a B25. best way to check would probably be to investigate the bridge plate thickness, but then it looks like the bridge may have been swapped, so could be forever unknown!

The body doesn't look like a Gibson. Body shape wrong, sound hole location - never seen that much wood between the hole and bridge, fretboard all way to the hole, strange rosette. Looks like a Gibson neck on a strange body with the binding loose at the waist.

13 hours ago, Dave F said:

The body doesn't look like a Gibson. Body shape wrong, sound hole location - never seen that much wood between the hole and bridge, fretboard all way to the hole, strange rosette. Looks like a Gibson neck on a strange body with the binding loose at the waist.

i thought the same- if it started as a gibson it's not quite one anymore with the mods done