Gibson Brands Forums

Let's Talk Slides.

Murph

I was telling here everyone about Diamond Bottlenecks years ago - I found lots about them on the Michael Messer reso forum.

I use the Blue Diamond all the time, one reason is it is custom fit for my pinky, absolutely perfect, may need the strings a bit higher to play cleanly - I have those bow neck guitars for that!

I had another Diamond Bottleneck that I gave to a friend, it fit his middle finger so I got generous. I miss that slide because it was some kind white bottle glass made out of higher soda lime content and it had more 'grit' than my original Blue Diamond (they make the blue ones now - they ran out of my blue bottles (Italian???) and fabulous for 'digging in' on the National Tricone! You could hear the difference, not making it up!

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

12 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

I was telling here everyone about Diamond Bottlenecks years ago - I found lots about them on the Michael Messer reso forum.

So where can you check them out in person, in the U.S.A. ?

Any brick and mortar dealers?

1 hour ago, Murph said:

So where can you check them out in person, in the U.S.A. ?

Any brick and mortar dealers?

No idea, Murph, but I doubt there would be...they make custom slides to fit your finger of choice.....and it wouldn’t be as good a fit if they sent off some standard thing to shops.

You use a ring chart, measure the finger you want to slide with, email them, order the spec and they cut, polish, chamfer and sent it (with a little mojo bag). I have a blown glass one, but prefer the ones made from real bottles......with the lip taken off! (called a Redhouse....good one to start with). My Blue Diamond was from a cache of Italian Murano glass bottles they had at the time, but they don’t have any more so they get blue ones blown now.

I liked them so much at the time, bought a few different ones, that I thought....’Oh No, I need spare of each!’ And I did! Jewellery for guitars!

P.S. I dug out my Redhouse, which is green! And I will play it for a week or so......I haven’t used it much because I kept playing my Blue Diamond.

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

I did drag out my Redhouse which is green!

Also grabbed my National M14 all mahogany reso (14 fret), tuned up, Open G,  ran the Redhouse slide along the high string and ..Yep! As suspected, perfect for the lighter M14 wood body. The Redhouse glass which is green by the way 😄......could be half the thickness of my Blue Diamond aforementioned.....and very much more lighter for jumping around!

I was playing in my front room, played about 3 extended slide ‘warmups’ and tunes, having a great time, wondering why I had left the Redhouse alone for so long and then.......the knucklehead across the road must have heard me and got his lawnmower out, started it, left it running while he made a phone call......pfffft. When he has an early night, I will plug same National in to my amp in my garage!

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777