Gibson Brands Forums

L’00 comparisons

DavieDoo

Hi y’all. Trying to choose between a rare 2017 Vintage Sunburst, a 2020 Limited Run Ebony (specially made for us Canadians, eh, with beauty snowflake inlays on the fret board), and a brand new ‘22 Original sunburst. All L’00’s, all in great shape. Thoughts?

Also how can u tell if the branding on the head is screened or inlay?  

and anyone know what case comes standard with the ‘22’s?

I have a few L00's. Here's the three Gibson's. I like them all.

2014 1932 Reissue - has a unique sound with 25" scale and made to the original specs with the braces, fabric stays and v neck. Spec-wise very similar to the Legend series. Lightest of the group. Came with a redline case. Logo is screened.

L00

2016 Nick Lucas Mystic Rosewood - 12 fret. Deep body.  Inlaid logo. Standard case.

49632879356_6802667b3c_w.jpg

2022 Custom L00 rosewood, 12 fret, aged top, inlaid logo, cali-girl type case

51899179702_d47885f772_n.jpg51899179742_41ac2543cf_n.jpg51900138006_64c8ed5a88_n.jpg

Edited by Dave F
  • Like 1

I am no kind of expert when it comes to Bozeman -made L flattops meaning at most I have played them only in passing and have never owned one.  Looking at my 1932 12 fret L1, it has a slimmer round neck carve and sports a transitional finish in that it has a hand rubbed lacquer burst with a final sprayed layer (which as mostly flaked off).  But what really makes the guitar stand out in a crowd is its scary light build.   Clocking it at around 2 3/4 pounds this thing is so lightly built you barely have to breathe on it to get a tone.

My take on it is that reproducing this exact guitar would be both a risky and expensive undertaking.  The risk arises from the light build.  They would be a warranty nightmare waiting to happen.  The expense would involve say thickening the tops so they were beefiest in the bridge plate area and thinning out as it reached the edges, reproducing a bracing carve that is different from the standard carve Bozman goes with, and, of course, the hand rubbed finish. Lots of extra labor.  When you put it all together it is not surprising that Bozeman went with a 1937 L00 for its Legend version.  While this guitar was far from what I would call easy on your pocketbook, by 1937 the model had put on enough weight so that say bellying was not likely to go over the top while it sported the less labor intensive sprayed finish Gibson had gone with several years earlier. 

So, while I believe comparing guitars is generally bad business, when it comes to Bozeman-made L00s I would think the yardstick to go by would be the Legend or Dave's '32 12 fret RI which is apparently built on the Legend platform.  But not to be dismayed, the sound of some of the standard runs of L00 would probably get you in the ballpark of a WW II period L00 (which was the only 1930s flattop to remain in production) by which time they had put on even more weight and featured Gibson's now standard scalloped X bracing.  Ain't life grand.

Edited by zombywoof
  • Like 1

Wait. I’m a bit of a slow leaner.  Your L1 sounds like a marvel, but they don’t make them like that anymore, or is the LG series the modern version?  I’m  an old guy looking to rekindle a love for guitar playing I had a a teen, but I’m giving up the Les Paul for an acoustic- and preferably the one that provides ease of finger picking.  Thanks for your wisdom. 

Nothing wrong with a L00. 14 fret.   Versatile little guitar.  Easy to hang on too. And prices are not high on those.   

L1 is a 12 fret,

Nick lucas is a cool guitar , but priced a little high for a few extra appointments 

whats your price range? then go from there.  

1 hour ago, DavieDoo said:

Wait. I’m a bit of a slow leaner.  Your L1 sounds like a marvel, but they don’t make them like that anymore, or is the LG series the modern version?  I’m  an old guy looking to rekindle a love for guitar playing I had a a teen, but I’m giving up the Les Paul for an acoustic- and preferably the one that provides ease of finger picking.  Thanks for your wisdom. 

The LG2 is not a modern version of an L1 but a very different beast.  Smaller classical guitar size body and from Day 1 sporting a scalloped X brace.  When it comes to fingerpicking though for me the L1 has a very distinct advantage over any LG ever made which is the string spacing at the bridge.  While sticking to precise specs was not exactly Gibson's strong point in the 1930s well into the 1940s, my L1 has a roomy 2 3/8" spacing while the standard on Gibsons from 1941 on has been 2 3/16".  And if you go back to the Banners it can be as skimpy as 2 1/8".

Edited by zombywoof

19 hours ago, Dave F said:

Although not as light as your L1, the '32 RI 14 fret weighs 3.4 lbs which is the lightest Gibson I have. Also, the string spacing at the bridge is 2-3/8"

I think Nick has a legend that is based on the '37 specs 

Gibson.com: Gibson 1932 L-00

I have seen Bozeman-made L00s as heavy as 4 lbs.  That is heavier than either my Fairbanks Smeck or '42 J50 with 16" lower bouts.  So yeah, 3.4 lbs would be feather light in comparison. I think it would be a hard row to hoe finding any Bozeman Gibson which clocked in at a lighter weight.   The only Legend I could quickly find with specs gave the weight at 3.6 lbs and a string spacing at the bridge of 2 3/8" with a 1.76" nut.  If I recall correctly at the time the Legend carried a $6K price tag.  I do think though the biggest mistake Gibson made prior to 1960 was going with a skimpier string spacing. around 1941.  Maybe it is because I am a fingerpicker but I do appreciate the extra room when I can get it.