Gibson Brands Forums

1934 Original Jumbo?

1934jumbo

I generally only talk about history with regard to Gibson reissues of vintage guitars.  I have two old guitars that are a bit relevant.  a 1935 Jumbo and a 1936 Jumbo35 (Trojan).  The Trojan replaced to Jumbo in 1936 --  essentially the same guitar except for trim.  Both have three tone bars.

bPpDXPO.jpg

Both of these guitars have a huge sort of raw sound.  Historically the best known musical pioneer AFAIK who used one was Charlie Monroe when he played with brother Bill as the Monroe Brothers -- who had a huge raw sound.  In 1935 their competition appeared c 1935 == D-28 and D-18.  These had a huge sound too but fuller and less raw.  Mine is an excellent bluegrass guitar -- the Trojan not so much,  Too raw.

I have played two of the new ones.  I must say they did not sound at all like the original.  They had a fuller more mellow sound and were not too powerful.  I only ever played those two.

Best,

-Tom

11 hours ago, tpbiii said:

I generally only talk about history with regard to Gibson reissues of vintage guitars.  I have two old guitars that are a bit relevant.  a 1935 Jumbo and a 1936 Jumbo35 (Trojan).  The Trojan replaced to Jumbo in 1936 --  essentially the same guitar except for trim.  Both have three tone bars.

bPpDXPO.jpg

I have never been able to get why Bozeman has refused to go with the three tone bars in either the Jumbo or J35.  Even Collings incorporates that feature in their CJ35.  As it does not seem like something which would appreciably increase cost, I have to think it's about what Gibson thinks would and would not appeal to modern ears.

I would wonder if the Jumbo meeting its demise due to lack of popularity has to do with the neck which has a depth at the 1st fret just shy or above 1.0".  These days that is a carve which would probably not be high on the list of desirable specs for more than a few.  It figures because for me the fat neck would be that model's biggest selling point.

I am drawn to the 1934 Gibson Jumbo more as time goes on because, mainly it seems like the underdog?? With its two year beginning, and all the reissues through the years. Yes I will get one if for no other reason than stated, and I will play very old school barroom bluegrass, cause thats what I love best! 1934jumbo

4 hours ago, 1934jumbo said:

I am drawn to the 1934 Gibson Jumbo more as time goes on because, mainly it seems like the underdog?? With its two year beginning, and all the reissues through the years. Yes I will get one if for no other reason than stated, and I will play very old school barroom bluegrass, cause thats what I love best! 1934jumbo

Yea, me too!  I have a lot of videos recorded with my "faithful reproduction" recording system.  Here is one that compares the 35 Jumbo and its 35 competitor,  35 D-18.  It is not great playing, but you can clearly hear that sparser tone of the Jumbo.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tpbiii said:

Yea, me too!  I have a lot of videos recorded with my "faithful reproduction" recording system.  Here is one that compares the 35 Jumbo and its 35 competitor,  35 D-18.  It is not great playing, but you can clearly hear that sparser tone of the Jumbo.

Tom those are two incredible sounding instruments!! The D18 is incredibly bright and broad, and the Jumbo has a really ghostly, smoky tone. Absolute knockouts, both!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, tpbiii said:

Thanks for posting that comparison. I listened on some monitor speakers as opposed to just the phone, in order to really hear the difference.

I may be in the minority, but I much prefer the Gibson (though the Martin exhibits a lot of character and raw power).

As you've pointed out, the Martin would certainly excel in a Bluegrass setting as its powerful midrange would not get lost in the mix of other instruments. But if I was accompanying myself with just guitar or especially in a modern setting, the more complex tone of the Gibson and its distictive, powerful bass would be my preference.

You are blessed to have both and so many more historically significant instruments. Thank you for the forsight and preseverance to gather them over the years, the excellent results of your efforts to accurately document their sound, and for making your many videos accessible to all of us. 

Red 333

Thanks for posting that comparison. I listened on some monitor speakers as opposed to just the phone, in order to really hear the difference.

I may be in the minority, but I much prefer the Gibson (though the Martin exhibits a lot of character and raw power).

As you've pointed out, the Martin would certainly excel in a Bluegrass setting as its powerful midrange would not get lost in the mix of other instruments. But if I was accompanying myself with just guitar or especially in a modern setting, the more complex tone of the Gibson and its distictive, powerful bass would be my preference.

You are blessed to have both and so many more historically significant instruments. Thank you for the forsight and preseverance to gather them over the years, the excellent results of your efforts to accurately document their sound, and for making your many videos accessible to all of us. 

Red 333

I don't disagree with any of that.  They are both great flatpickers -- although a bit different.  They will also both work well for bluegrass string band rhythm, but the totally best for that role are still the old D-28 Herringbones.  However, I find the 35 Jumbo to be a much more flexible instrument -- working well for a broader class of music.  I particularly love it for alternating thumb ragtime and gospel -- I find the D-18's extreme midrange problematic.  Arguably that is a problem with my playing and no the guitar.  So the Jumbo goes out a lot -- at least it did before covid.  They are both player grade, so that is not an issue with either.

All the best,

-Tom

• Like 1

I would wonder if the Jumbo meeting its demise due to lack of popularity has to do with the neck which has a depth at the 1st fret just shy or above 1.0".  These days that is a carve which would probably not be high on the list of desirable specs for more than a few.  It figures because for me the fat neck would be that model's biggest selling point.

Gibson necks in the 20s and early 30s had a relatively deep V profile -- that was true with the Jumbo and the 36 Jumbo35 (Trojan).  However, the 36 Advanced Jumbo had a more modern profile.

have never been able to get why Bozeman has refused to go with the three tone bars in either the Jumbo or J35.  Even Collings incorporates that feature in their CJ35.  As it does not seem like something which would appreciably increase cost, I have to think it's about what Gibson thinks would and would not appeal to modern ears.

Here is the bracing on the 36 Jumbo 35, which is the same as the Jumbo.  Three unscalloped tone bars.

lyerUtk.jpg

Here is y 36 AJ -- three scalloped tone bars.  By the way -- this is very rare.  Most all AJs have two scalloped tone bars.  Gibson did a lot of different stuff in the early days.

fSlwvUa.jpg

Best,

-Tom

• Like 1