Gibson Brands Forums

RECOMMENDATION: Clipon Tuner for a Gibson ES-335 DOT ??

Guitar Blues

14 minutes ago, kidblast said:

And I had you pegged for a Fruity Pebbles kinda dude   go figger

Nope. If I do eat cereal its Captain Crunch with crunch berries. I used to love the cinnamon when I was a kid. It was named after a Pirate John Lafette or something like that.

Mostly its coffee and and English Muffin.

26 minutes ago, Guitar Blues said:

Hi fellows,

So, you are advising the PetersonStroboClip HD High-Definition Clip-On Strobe Tuner will not damage a new Gibson ES-335 ?

I cannot find a reference for this anywhere on the Internet including the Peterson website!

Thanks,

GB

I own 6 gibsons, and I use my peterson all the time  it's not done a single smudge of damage to the nitro

but PLEASE before you make the purchase, 

raise a support request here:  Open New Support Ticket | Peterson Strobe Tuners (petersontuners.com)

they will answer your question.  they're very responsive

Edited by kidblast
  • Thanks 1

Hi fellows,

GIBSON responded to my query about clip-on tuners for use on a Gibson guitar.  Here is their response:

Thanks for contacting Gibson Brands! We don't recommend any sort of clip on tuners as they may cause a reaction with the nitrocellulose finish.

Additionally, Gibson recommends that you check with the manufacturers of any accessories to ensure that items such as capos, stands, etc. are safe for nitro finishes. I would recommend not leaving capos, clip on tuners, etc. on the guitar.

5 hours ago, Guitar Blues said:

Hi fellows,

GIBSON responded to my query about clip-on tuners for use on a Gibson guitar.  Here is their response:

Thanks for contacting Gibson Brands! We don't recommend any sort of clip on tuners as they may cause a reaction with the nitrocellulose finish.

Additionally, Gibson recommends that you check with the manufacturers of any accessories to ensure that items such as capos, stands, etc. are safe for nitro finishes. I would recommend not leaving capos, clip on tuners, etc. on the guitar.

Its there catch all legal mumbo jumbo cause they know, like I said "breath on nitro and it reacts negatively with it". 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

18 hours ago, Guitar Blues said:

Hi fellows,

Hi,

The answer you got was the standard Gibson response to any questions that fall under "finish" care and maintenance.

You're asking the wrong guys the question.   

You need to direct this to Peterson support NOT Gibson.

If you are REALLY worried that something will happen in the brief time it takes to tune, you can use any tuner, put a piece small of cotton or flannel on the area headstock where those pads will make contact.

The only other advice?  Buy a tuner pedal instead.

Pitchblack X Mini Custom Pedal Tuner | Sweetwater

Edited by kidblast
  • Thanks 1

I recommend taking your Gibson to your nearest music store. Once inside, uncase your axe, find a seat, and yell out, "Somebody give me an A!" Tune, by ear, your A string to the tone that follows. (Or, you can pick up your "land-line phone" and use the "dial tone" similarly.)