Gibson Brands Forums

Vintage LG-1 Geeks

jibberish

Any owners out there of a 1950  (or there about) LG-1 that wouldn't mind helping a fellow geek?

If you have some calipers, could you please measure the thickness of your guitar top in various places...say, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock (while looking from saddle to nut)?

My mission: Most folks know that Ladder Bracing vs. X is the main difference between the LG-1 and LG-2, however some have said that top thickness may also come into play.

Well, I have a 1950 LG-2. So I am curious about possible difference in our tops' thicknesses.

Thanks!

Why not just go out and buy a caliper?  When it comes to already built guitars though what you really need is a Hacklinger gauge.   While I do not know about the tops on Gibsons built as late as the 1950s as I have not owed one in a lot of years, that on my 1932 Gibson, as example, is thicker in the bridge area and thins out as it reaches the sides.

Edited by zombywoof

I had a  ‘51 LG1. I don’t know about the top thickness. The things I did not care for was the quick decay, which many people like, and the fretboard radius being 9.75” instead of 12”. 
It was a nice guitar and I should had probably held on to it. 

11 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

Why not just go out and buy a caliper?  When it comes to already built guitars though what you really need is a Hacklinger gauge.   While I do not know about the tops on Gibsons built as late as the 1950s as I have not owed one in a lot of years, that on my 1932 Gibson, as example, is thicker in the bridge area and thins out as it reaches the sides.

I have calipers. Im curious what measurements others are getting. I want to compare top thickness between LGs of similar antiquity.