Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird advice….

PaulaT

I’m just a middle aged lady returning to her music now that life has slowed down.   My first guitar teacher played a hummingbird.   I have wanted one ever since!   So my question is…. Am I better off buying new?   I have found one used in my area.  But it seems like he has played with it a bit.  He has it posted several times with prices from $450-$599.     I’ll  attach a photo of his handy work.  I appreciate any advice.   Oh…,for reference, I current play an Epiphone AJ200SCEVS.  I have no idea it’s age, I picked it up used 13 years ago.   Should I just keep strumming what I have.  Would this be an upgrade?  I play for myself and with the praise team in church.  

This is what he has done to it:

Beautiful Epiphone Hummingbird Pro/completely gone through/ Pro set up/New EQ/New pick guard/New Truss rod cover/professionally set up/neck treated/ New strings/this is a Beautiful playing and Sounding Guitar.. in better than new condition/everything new ready for its new owner// $599

3E305743-F905-4062-BB08-EAE90E9B714C.jpeg

EA72CE4A-7B05-4266-93FD-0F0AACD00E0B.jpeg

I think the guitar you have now AJ200 older model is a fine guitar, I have a 98 AJ28 that I play all winter when humidity is low and I keep my solid wood guitars cased.

I like the looks of the Epi Humming Bird cherry burst also and have one on a stand in my kitchen. Seems like the bird your looking at is priced a bit high, do you need to plug in?

Have your AJ set up by a competed person ( do your research get recommendations from other players ) Have some new strings put on it try some DR Sunbeams I realy like them on my Epiphone

Keep looking for the bird you will find one no rush, may be you will get the real deal Gibson Bird

• 1 month later...

Paula, glad your returning to music. I hope this didn't get to you too late. The teachers price for that is way to high! That Epiphone was made Nov 13, 2013 and the production number is 11085 made in Indonesia. Epiphones do not go up in value. I have a 2013 Epiphone Hummingbird without the on board electronics and when Guitar center put those out, they were about 349.00. Nowdays they are about 450 to 475.00 brand new at Guitar Center. Those guitars only sound good when they're amplified. If I had to dovit over again, I would look at Yamahas or Alvarez. Hope this helps! Keep playing!

Edited by the other side
Spelling

Hey Paula I agree  with the posts above- this seller essentially wants to sell you a used guitar with an expensive setup! A fresh set of strings on your AJ and you probably have a guitar every bit as good as the hummingbird for sale. 

My first acoustic was an epiphone hummingbird and it was lovely but i wouldnt overpay for one!