Gibson Brands Forums

New to the Forum

Hi everyone! 

I have a few Gibsons. I took a 35-year hiatus from guitar, and in 2017, I started with a 2017 Studio High Performance. I then purchased a 61 reissue SG and a 2021 Axcess Floyd Rose. I love each one so much. Now I have a Les Paul Custom 57 Blue Widow, custom-built to my specs through Sweetwater. I received an e-mail from my sales engineer that M2M had sanded the maple top, and it is showing a good deal of mineral streaks and asked if I thought it was alright and to continue with the build. I pondered it for a bit and decided to proceed with the build. I am attaching a picture of it here. Maybe some of you could comment on my thoughts. With the "Blue Widow" fade to black around the edges (especially around the pickup toggle switch, lower cutout, and around the body edges that M2M could lessen the black areas by a 1/2 inch or less? That way, more Blue Widow quilt top (with the mineral streaks would show)? Do you all think that would look cool or what? M2M is working with us to make this a very special ax for me. Thank you for my addition to this fine group! Thank you all for your input ahead of time. 

Doc1.docx  

Hmm.. Well I would not be happy with that..

As it is you can see an orangey colour even through the black pre stain...  As the stain is translucent to show the wood grain, you are going to be mixing blue and that colour..  And blue and orange will give you a browny colour. So you will be able to see some of it even with the black around the edge as it goes from the front to the back of the body.. 

So yeah.. Its all down to you really.. I dont think its gonna look that good with blue on top.. I guess it depends on how dark the blue is.. Oddly, just with the black pre stain I think it looks pretty good as is...  

But there is no wrong or right here.. Just what you like and dont like.