Gibson Brands Forums

By the logo on this headstock, what year range could this Les Paul be from?

maruaderguy

No serial number. This is an old photo of the guitar from 40 years ago.  I was talking to the owner and he said it was a 59 Les Paul.  Does that logo look like it could be on a 59? Or do you think it is a later guitar from the 70's or something? 

It just seemed kind of funny that he said it was a 59, which makes it the most valuable and coveted year for Les Paul guitars.

I was wondering if the logo would disprove that.

It’s not a valuable 59 burst as I can see that it has a square fret marker on first fret,

that would put it as a Les Paul Custom , probably black, possibly 3 pickups if it’s a 57, if from 70’s possibly 2 pickups 

If it has a “hump” back of headstock (aka volute) would be from 70’s

• Upvote 1

That logo is totally 100% 50s (1953-60ish)

Can't give exact year w/o serial #

Regardless, yes this could be a 1959 Les Paul Custom.

Although the custom is a higher spec-d model, they typically sell for less than the 58-60 les paul standards

Edited by gibsonles paul

His is an original black 3 pickup Les Paul custom. He has had it since the late 70's or early 80s.  I just assumed he bought it new as a '79, but he said it was a '59.

So the logos on the 79's are a little different from the 59's?  Or are they exactly the same?
By '78, Gibson went back to the dotted i in the logo.  The 59's and '79's look the same to me, but I am assuming there could be some slight differences, since so much time had passed.