Gibson Brands Forums

Do volume controls on guitars simply limit output

Sheepdog1969

On 7/26/2023 at 12:18 PM, OrdinaryNimda said:

Very true, we are talking here only about "passive" circuits, with the only energy source input into the system being the "L". All other electrical elements (including the wires, though minimally) take some energy away before it reaches the Amp. 

Theory we all get in schools of all sorts, it's needed and is good to have in the brain. But it always has to be followed up by real world scenarios. It took me quite some time (and heavy thinking 😅), that for example a Volume pedal also works in this "one way only" fashion. It only takes volume away from the equation and never increases it. It's (basically) just a resistor, like the Pots in the guitar. And all the other elements, including the Caps, take some or more energy away.

You and Sgt. P are getting to something that I wanted to learn about if the assumptions I made in my post were right, (which they appear to be.). I am aware that "resistance", which I know as Ohms, diminishes the flow of electrons, (essentially electron flow friction within conductive material, which translates to heat), and factors such as conductive material type, transmission length, etc., cumulatively determine "resistance" in a given system.  How do Ohms differ from "Inductance"/L in passive electric guitar systems, prior to amplification)?

I assure you all that my line of detailed questions is going somewhere and relates to practical applications.  (THD will be part of this Q&A, btw)

Edited by Sheepdog1969
typo
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

You and St. P are getting to something that I wanted to learn about if the assumptions I made in my post were right, (which they appear to be.). I am aware that "resistance", which I know as Ohms, diminishes the flow of electrons, (essentially electron flow friction within conductive material, which translates to heat), and factors such as conductive material type, transmission length, etc., cumulatively determine "resistance" in a given system.  How do Ohms differ from "Inductance"/L in passive electric guitar systems, prior to amplification)?

I assure you all that my line of detailed questions is going somewhere and relates to practical applications.  (THD will be part of this Q&A, btw)

Resistance is measured in Ohms. Inductance is measured in Henry’s. But you can also ohm out a coil, which is what the pickup is. When you pluck a string you disturb the magnetic field and it gets induced into the pickup and makes it’s way to your amp.

The more resistance the less current flows and the opposite it also true. Less resistance then more current can flow. 

I spent ages going to schools and working with electricity. I still learn to this day. My strength is as a troubleshooter. Basically I diagnose and fix electrical stuff that breaks. But to do that you have to know how it behaves. I’ve spend minutes to days trying to fix things depending on the complexity.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Resistance is measured in Ohms. Inductance is measured in Henry’s. But you can also ohm out a coil, which is what the pickup is. When you pluck a string you disturb the magnetic field and it gets induced into the pickup and makes it’s way to your amp.

The more resistance the less current flows and the opposite it also true. Less resistance then more current can flow. 

I spent ages going to schools and working with electricity. I still learn to this day. My strength is as a troubleshooter. Basically I diagnose and fix electrical stuff that breaks. But to do that you have to know how it behaves. I’ve spend minutes to days trying to fix things depending on the complexity.

So L (Inductance) is the measurement of current generated via the movement of Ferris material (strings) through the magnetic field of a coil wrapped magnet, resulting in a "sympathetic" displacement of said magnet, thus generating a charge within the coil.   Ohms is the measurement that details the amount of energy a transmitted current looses due to electrical current transmission inefficiencies associated with each conductive material utilized in a system. Am I close?

Edited by Sheepdog1969
grammar
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

So L (Inductance) is the measurement of current generated via the movement of Ferris material (strings) through the magnetic field of a coil wrapped magnet, resulting in a "sympathetic" displacement of said magnet, thus generating a charge within the coil.   Ohms is the measurement that details the amount of energy a transmitted current looses due to electrical current transmission inefficiencies associated with each conductive material utilized in a system. Am I close?

I would watch YT videos or get a book on how electricity works. It’s not gonna be easy to explain, and I have not idea how much or little electrical theory you know.

I had DC and AC theory/lab in college, and remember very little, even though I used them when I worked as a Field Engineer for a Cable TV component manufacturer. But if you don't use it, you lose it, so all I have left is basic understanding.

So much has changed since then. When I went to school, they recommended the Communications Option, instead of the Digital Option because there wasn't much work in computers. Integrated Circuits were just being introduced, we still learned about vacuum tubes and individual transistors.

I'm endlessly impressed with the leaps and bounds the field has taken since then, but the basics still apply.

My Parker guitars have a piezo pickup under the bridge, so they need a preamp. The magnetic pickups go through the same preamp, and I can blend the piezo with the mags to get a little grit into the tone. It's possible to run the piezo by itself, but with the solid wood body, the acoustic tone is rather thin.

I've had the Parkers for over some years now, and the only things that fail are the 9v battery and the strings. So I was never even curious to see what kind of resistors the knobs are attached to, but I assume they are pots.

Guitar is my 7th instrument. I know a lot more about the mechanics of a saxophone.

Notes ♫