Gibson Brands Forums

Help Identifying LG model and year.

IMG_1420.thumb.jpeg.53aeb9848f1a5aa02a242e207e05fd64.jpegI found an LG for sale at a local shop and I’m trying to find information. The seller’s tag has it marked as a 1963 LG 1, but that doesn’t seem to align with the serial number tables I have seen.

Under the Gibson logo on the headstock it says Custom LG-0/2. The serial number stamped on the back is 897534. Any info would be much appreciated.  Sam

Edited by Sam S

I agree, that serial number suggests 1967 or 1969 (being from the era of Gibson serial number redundancy and confusion).  I'm not a flat-top guy, but for those here who are, it might help to see more photos of the instrument.  The only other thing I can add is that I've never seen a model name appear like that under the headstock logo, especially with the word "custom" included.  But again, I'm not experienced with Gibson flat-tops.

On 8/14/2023 at 8:41 AM, Sam S said:

I found an LG for sale at a local shop and I’m trying to find information. The seller’s tag has it marked as a 1963 LG 1, but that doesn’t seem to align with the serial number tables I have

Under the Gibson logo on it the headstock it says Custom LG-0/2. The serial number stamped on the back is 897534. Any info would be much appreciated.  Sam

IMG_1400.jpeg

IMG_1401.jpeg

IMG_1420.jpeg

Looks like an LG with a poorly homebrewed refin, so they probably embellished the headstock with that model info. def not factory. if it's from that era you should play it first if possible- the narrow nut isnt for everyone. if you dont mind it and it's cheap enough (like under $1000 cheap) it's a player!