Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Custom Build Order

ThomasF.

34 minutes ago, ThomasF. said:

Is the J-45 Custom built in Bozeman and customized in Nashville? My 2016 J-45 Custom serial number indicates it was "made" in Nashville. However, everything I've read indicates all Gibson acoustics are made in Montana.

When did Gibson start making guitars in Bozeman Montana?

I think since then they have been made there almost exclusively. 

Be sure you're using the Acoustic numbering system.

Here's an excerpt from an earlier thread. You may want to read the entire thread.

From the Gibson site. You will note that in 1977 they started using an 8 digit number. In 2005, Gibson USA (not the acoustic division) switched to a 9 digit system. Gibson USA Custom models use a completely different number.  You can read all the details for yourself at Serial Search (gibson.com)

Here's some excerpts from that site. Since your number has 8 digits and shows it was made after 2005, it's a Montana built acoustic.

Hope this helps and quit using those serial number decoder sites.

In 1977, Gibson introduced the serialization method that we primarily use to this day

YDDDYRRR

The pattern is as follows:
YY is the production year
DDD is the day of the year
RRR is the factory ranking/plant designation number.

Since 1989, all Gibson acoustics are built in Bozeman, MT and all Gibson electrics are built in Nashville or Memphis. Ranking numbers for Bozeman start each day at 001 and the electrics may start as low as the 300s.

NOTE - Gibson USA goes to a 9 digit serial number in early July 2005..
The sixth number is now a batch number- batch 0 starts at the beginning of the day, and once we stamp 699, the batch number will change to 1. The first 5 numbers remain the same, the last 3 numbers will remain the same. The only difference is the addition of this batch indicator.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I answered my own question above. I had previously used a serial number look up site that returned: Year: 2015 (correct), Date: Monday July 16 (wrong), Location: Nashville, TN (wrong), Info: production #011(correct). However after checking several sites I found how to decode the serial number on my J-45 Custom. Year: 2015, Date: Sept. 17, Production #011, Location: Bozeman, MT...

22 hours ago, ThomasF. said:

I answered my own question above. I had previously used a serial number look up site that returned: Year: 2015 (correct), Date: Monday July 16 (wrong), Location: Nashville, TN (wrong), Info: production #011(correct). However after checking several sites I found how to decode the serial number on my J-45 Custom. Year: 2015, Date: Sept. 17, Production #011, Location: Bozeman, MT...

Got a pic? We love pics?