Gibson Brands Forums

What retailer was my guitar originally purchased from

jap545

24 minutes ago, jap545 said:

Hi. I own a 1986 Gibson Les Paul Standard. Serial # 83496711. Can you tell me about it. Like what is the color designation and what retailer originally sold it. I like to know the history of things. Any help would be appreciated. 

Sure your guitars name is Fred. A very nice guy named Jim originally purchased it at the Guitar Center in Nowheresville, North East Califvada. The guitar was born in Nashville. The color is hard to see from my computer, but I'll take a guess its a burst? 

Dude do you seriously think we know if your guitar went to Guitar Center, Sam Ash or The Chicago Music Exchange to be sold? Your serial number is just a number that identifies your guitar as that one. It holds no magic info about its journey once it got strings on it. All I know is you have a '86 LP and your serial number, beyond that I got nothing.

All I know about your serial number is the guitar was stamped on the 15th of December 1986.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Um..yes. Seargent DB. Gibson knows what stock went to what dealer/retailer. They have to account for it.  They will know the product ID of it and be able to identify the specs. I've done it over the phone in the past. Records could be shotty from so long ago.  But thanks for being a complete AH about it. I'm sure your a real sharp and edgy guy with all the answers and no inner inferiority complex. Way to go Pal. Keep up the good work. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, jap545 said:

Um..yes. Seargent DB. Gibson knows what stock went to what dealer/retailer. They have to account for it.  They will know the product ID of it and be able to identify the specs. I've done it over the phone in the past. Records could be shotty from so long ago.  But thanks for being a complete AH about it. I'm sure your a real sharp and edgy guy with all the answers and no inner inferiority complex. Way to go Pal. Keep up the good work. 

So what are we as forum members supposed to tell you about your guitars journey through life, and what color it is with nothing more to go on but a serial number? So why are you asking us, call Gibson? No one from Gibson monitors this forum and reports back the guy in the big chair what the forum guys what. 

Thanks for stopping by and asking questions we can't answer. 

So you know the guitars serial number but not its color?  "Can you tell me about it. Like what is the color designation and what retailer originally sold it,"

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

21 hours ago, Mr. Gibson said:

Nobody has a sense of humor anymore. Seriousness has no place here. Begone man with weird forum name. Sarge is king.

How is a Gibson serial number going to tell anyone the history of the guitar. At best it lets you know what day your guitar was "stamped" with the serial number, and production number and that is it. That other number on the hanging tag gives you some of the info you want if you still, or if you ever had it. 

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

How is a Gibson serial number going to tell anyone the history of the guitar. At best it lets you know what day your guitar was "stamped" with the serial number, and production number and that is it. That other number on the hanging tag gives you some of the info you want if you still, or if you ever had it. 

I’m going to start drinking again, everything made sense when I was drunk.

10 minutes ago, Mr. Gibson said:

People think the serial number is some key to unlocking clues and secrets about the guitar. No. Its a number on your guitar. All my guitars have them. My microwave oven does too. What store first sold your guitar? First of all, why, and who cares? I think from the serial number I can tell just from the serial number Jap545 uses Jim Dunlop Delrin picks in a .96 mm thickness. Nailed it huh.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2023 at 9:28 AM, Mr. Gibson said:

That solution also made me play better too! The drunker I got, better I played...

At least that's what it felt like to me!

Oh who cares, at least I was happy!

On 10/3/2023 at 9:34 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

People think the serial number is some key to unlocking clues and secrets about the guitar. No. Its a number on your guitar. All my guitars have them. My microwave oven does too. What store first sold your guitar? First of all, why, and who cares? I think from the serial number I can tell just from the serial number Jap545 uses Jim Dunlop Delrin picks in a .96 mm thickness. Nailed it huh.

Whaaat???  You mean it is not??? 😔

Sometimes it is hard to get across the humor we meant in a post and a silly thought passing thru our minds while we are typing that made us smile doesn't reach to the recipient the same way. I hope nobody here take offense from a friendly jab or pulling one's leg...

Let's smile and move on friends!

I am too old and tired to get angry at anything anymore!