Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - IBG J45

Dodger11

Haven't been on here in ages given I rarely play my EJ160e these days.  Just picked up a used IBG J45 for £300 and it's a brilliant guitar!

Really comfortable to play, sounds great and perfect to sing with - just like a J45 should be.

Epiphone seems to have got these IBG guitars so right.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Congratulations! Yes  they are nailing it on the IBGs. I just got an Epiphone Hummingbird 12 string IBG this past Sunday and they got it more than right. I have the regular Gibson Hummingbird and the IBG lines have definately crossed over into the Gibson's play ground. The sound just blew me away. Sure you can watch utube clips, but you'll never hear the real sound as you do in person. Congratulations again and enjoy!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Congratulations, the IBG line is great. I also bought a used IBG J-45 and love it. I replaced the  thick bat wing pick guard with a Gibson style tear drop pick guard (found it on Amazon) and it looks even more like a Gibson now. I also bought a used IBG Hummingbird...delightful, and very close in sound to the Gibson model (I own both). Both models are spectacular for the price. The used market on these is an especially good value. But they are well worth the price you pay for them new. Good luck. The J-45 is a very special guitar!

Edited by ALD323
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Does anybody use the electronics on these IBG guitars? Especially the under saddle stye? How do you like it?

I have only plugged in twice since I got it. Sounds fairly good so far through the fender acoustic junior 100 amp. The Fishman Sonitone owners guide said it should get about 100 hours of battery playtime (9v battery), which I really did not want to hear that because the battery is in a holder inside the soundhole like the LR Baggs VTC is except I get about 600 hours of play time with it. Being my IBG Epiphone Hummingbird 12 string, that is not a very good thing to replace the battery that often. I'm keeping track of the battery playtime.

58 minutes ago, the other side said:

I have only plugged in twice since I got it. Sounds fairly good so far through the fender acoustic junior 100 amp. The Fishman Sonitone owners guide said it should get about 100 hours of battery playtime (9v battery), which I really did not want to hear that because the battery is in a holder inside the soundhole like the LR Baggs VTC is except I get about 600 hours of play time with it. Being my IBG Epiphone Hummingbird 12 string, that is not a very good thing to replace the battery that often. I'm keeping track of the battery playtime.

How hard is it to change a battery? I assume the strings will need to be loose? Re-string when the battery dies?

2 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

How hard is it to change a battery? I assume the strings will need to be loose? Re-string when the battery dies?

I would have to loosen and the ADG and possible low E. That's 8 total cause of the octave strings. This is not the problem. The problem is when you tune them back up,  especially the G's the g octave is destined to break and it's always a gamble if any others will break. You can only loosen an retighten so many times, sometimes once and some 3 times on a regular 6th string guitar. So if you break a string, it's an entire restring for me. The ideal situation is for the battery to last through at least 2 or three  string changes (mabey 5 to 6 months), otherwise, you're changing strings(depending on your play time) way more frequently. I don't replace whatever string breaks from another set. Then everything gets out of balance in my opinion. Not economical.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, the other side said:

I would have to loosen and the ADG and possible low E. That's 8 total cause of the octave strings. This is not the problem. The problem is when you tune them back up,  especially the G's the g octave is destined to break and it's always a gamble if any others will break. You can only loosen an retighten so many times, sometimes once and some 3 times on a regular 6th string guitar. So if you break a string, it's an entire restring for me. The ideal situation is for the battery to last through at least 2 or three  string changes (mabey 5 to 6 months), otherwise, you're changing strings(depending on your play time) way more frequently. I don't replace whatever string breaks from another set. Then everything gets out of balance in my opinion. Not economical.

Interesting. I might change my mind and go with the J-45 CE because it has the body mounted pre-amp. I assume the battery in in that location.

On 11/12/2023 at 1:53 AM, Ceptorman said:

Does anybody use the electronics on these IBG guitars? Especially the under saddle stye? How do you like it?

Like most other people I'm frustrated that there's a battery bag inside the guitar.  This is far from ideal if the battery goes during a gig.  As far as the actual pickup goes I find it pretty good - easy enough to get a decent sound.  I play in noisy bars so no-one is really judging whether your guitar sounds amazing.  I hand built a guitar under the guidance of a great luthier and put the same pickup  into that.  I'm finding the IBG J45 hard to put down - it just suits the voice so well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dodger11 said:

Like most other people I'm frustrated that there's a battery bag inside the guitar.  This is far from ideal if the battery goes during a gig.  As far as the actual pickup goes I find it pretty good - easy enough to get a decent sound.  I play in noisy bars so no-one is really judging whether your guitar sounds amazing.  I hand built a guitar under the guidance of a great luthier and put the same pickup  into that.  I'm finding the IBG J45 hard to put down - it just suits the voice so well.

I'm finding that difficulty in putting it down as well. Does your fishman give you any signs of when the battery slowly starts to go down ( if you've had/ played that IBG J45 long enough to find out)? I notice with the LR Baggs, having to increase the onboard volume wheel (amp volume remains same level all the time) when battery is getting low. I always try to set the onboard volume wheel about half way and then set the amp volume and leave it there after a battery change. I maybe wrong but I also think the onboard wheel setting, when increased may use more battery power.

On 11/13/2023 at 2:54 PM, the other side said:

I'm finding that difficulty in putting it down as well. Does your fishman give you any signs of when the battery slowly starts to go down ( if you've had/ played that IBG J45 long enough to find out)? I notice with the LR Baggs, having to increase the onboard volume wheel (amp volume remains same level all the time) when battery is getting low. I always try to set the onboard volume wheel about half way and then set the amp volume and leave it there after a battery change. I maybe wrong but I also think the onboard wheel setting, when increased may use more battery power.

Aye I think increasing the volume would definitely drain the power.  I had my volume at maximum but it's too brash so keep it about 3/4 up for a clear signal.  It's a pity there's no warning light factored into the battery in some way.  I'll probably change battery every time I change strings (I get about 4-5 months from elixirs) as it's not my main gigging guitar.  Don't know what strings were on it originally but I found it really opened up with 80/20 bronze