Gibson Brands Forums

LP '05 info required

Nicolò

Hi all, I would like to purchase this LP from 2005, the date in the check list is in the format day/month/year instead of the usual month/day/year....never seen this before and it makes me think...could be a guitar made for the European market? I and the guitar are both in Europe. thanks!

As a European I can confirm that dates on Gibson paperwork here are in the (very silly) American format, month first. 

What's the serial number date? 

14 Dec 05 would be 03485***

For the 348th day of 05

Pics of the guitar might be wise here. 

ok, this is the link to the website:

https://www.mercatinomusicale.com/mm/a_gibson-les-paul-standard-2005_id7398724.html

The guitar is really a nice one and seems legit from all points of view, the seller looks reliable.

This is the serial (021350540) search result: 

Your guitar was made at the
Nashville Plant, TN, USA
on August 1st, 2005
Production Number: 240

The black checklist (never seen before) says : this guitar is quility controlled by Gibson Europe BV, that looks like the European Gibson Headquarter located in the Netherlands.

I believe this guitar has been quality controlled in Europe, on the 14th of December 2005, that's the reason for the European Format Date.

Something odd here

A 2005 standard shouldn't have an abr1 bridge.

It shouldn't have pointers. 

It appears to be a historic trc. 

I don't think the "made in USA" stamp was a thing in 2005. 

Everything screams 58/59/60 reissue except the serial number which looks ink, very feint and should be stamped on an 05 standard

That black hang tag with quality control on it is nothing I've ever seen before. 

Is that Chinese writing on the case instructions? 

The date format is odd. 

The guitar looks ligit though. 

@Farnsbarns 

the bridge is a Nashville not ABR 1

pointers are probably after market upgrade

'05 STDs  sure have "made in USA"  stamp

to me the serial looks ok, stamped and not just ink. The headstock shows the two typical mahogany wooden addings on left/right side.

chinese writings on case instructions TBH doesnt worry me 

take a look at this '05 STD:

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/products/gibson-les-paul-standard-sunburst-2005-1109628

44 minutes ago, Nicolò said:

@Farnsbarns 

the bridge is a Nashville not ABR 1

pointers are probably after market upgrade

'05 STDs  sure have "made in USA"  stamp

to me the serial looks ok, stamped and not just ink. The headstock shows the two typical mahogany wooden addings on left/right side.

chinese writings on case instructions TBH doesnt worry me 

take a look at this '05 STD:

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/products/gibson-les-paul-standard-sunburst-2005-1109628

Apologies, closer inspection, it is a Nashville bridge. I noticed the headstock wings, the guitar certainly looks ligit, like I say. 

I can't imagine why an American suddenly switched to a different date format. The guitar was stamped on 1 August 05. I wouldn't have guessed it would be 4 months from stamp to QC check but it could be. 

I have seen a lot of guitars from that era (my 2002 included) with mostly blank check lists. Maybe a European decided to fill in what was a blank one.